• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Gene Keyes

Gene Keyes

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:world politics, world peace, world map cartography, B.J.S. Cahill, Buckminster Fuller, Robert Heinlein, Esperanto
  • Canada

My latest posting about Cahill's cartography discusses his Conformal, one of three main Variants he had developed subsequent to his original 1909 Butterfly.

http://www.genekeyes...-Conformal.html

Besides unpublished illustrations from his archive, it also includes my earliest start on the Cahill-Keyes map, a 1975 dummy using a 1928 Cahill Conformal. Also shown is an early draft of a Cahill-Keyes Conformal by Jacob Rus (2015), based on my sui-generis transformation.

Strebe

Strebe

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Map projections. Snobby chocolate. Science in general.
  • United States

Your treatise uses the term “conformal” all over the place, but the only conformal map in it is the variant by Adams. Cahill himself likely did not fully understand what the term meant. Your own explanation, that meridians and parallels meet at right angles, describes a necessary but insufficient condition of conformality. The Rus variant may or may not be conformal; the image resolution is too coarse to tell what’s really going on with the graticule, and in any case, it’s the mathematics that tell the true story.

— daan

Gene Keyes

Gene Keyes

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:world politics, world peace, world map cartography, B.J.S. Cahill, Buckminster Fuller, Robert Heinlein, Esperanto
  • Canada

Your treatise uses the term “conformal” all over the place, but the only conformal map in it is the variant by Adams. Cahill himself likely did not fully understand what the term meant. Your own explanation, that meridians and parallels meet at right angles, describes a necessary but insufficient condition of conformality. The Rus variant may or may not be conformal; the image resolution is too coarse to tell what’s really going on with the graticule, and in any case, it’s the mathematics that tell the true story.

— daan

Orthodox cartographers, and Adams, gave Cahill an awful lot of grief, until Adams mellowed and offered to calculate the Variants.

The Rus map pdf, like mine, is viewable at 1:1 M: not coarse.  —Gene

Strebe

Strebe

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Map projections. Snobby chocolate. Science in general.
  • United States

I contacted Rus directly. As required for conformality, he uses the Schwarz–Christoffel mapping.

— daan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: world map, Cahill, conformal, Butterfly map

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->