8 replies to this topic

andreamilani

andreamilani

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Italy

I used TerrainTools_v1_1  with Arcmap with a DEM file format AAIGrid 32 bit floating point.
when I use "Cluster Hillshade"  to generate shadow relief I obtaining  a 64-bit image depth ,double precision format FGDBR and and the result on screen is what you can see in the left image , It is too contrasty and black. I would get the same result that is obtained in the included documentation (image on the right), with the exact same tool: a clear image with less contrast, that it is possible  later combine with another layer representing the vegetation.
In your opinion, where is the problem?
thank you

Attached Thumbnails

• cluster_hillshade.jpg

tangnar

tangnar

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Rivers, Urban Design, Geomorphology, Bicycling, Outdoors
  • United States

You can achieve the result in the second image by adjusting the contrast and brightness in the Display tab. 

andreamilani

andreamilani

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Italy

thank you very much for your reply, I have done some experiments. I would like to get color with shading relief similar to the topographic map  that I attached, which was obtained overlaying a green color (forests) to a grayscale shaded. Which method of compositing I should use fora similar result?

Andrea

aakas8.jpg

andreamilani

andreamilani

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Italy

the terrain generalization  which I've  obtained with terrain sculptor is too bad..

know you a software to obtain a terrain generalization ? Arcmap / terrain tools does not seem have this option.. or I'm wrong?

With contrast and brightness in  Display tab, it seems to me that the dynamic contrast always remains very high

razornole

razornole

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Recreational Cartography
  • United States

Ciao Andrea,

Looks to me like the Z factor is not set correctly.  Give this a try if you haven't already.

https://blogs.esri.c...eter-correctly/

kru

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

andreamilani

andreamilani

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Italy

Hello Kru,
thank you for your suggestion, it is possible that the cause of the problem is the one you suggested.
The imported file to which I applied hillshade in Arcmap is a dem tiff format,which before being imported into arcmap   was converted  to ESRI ASCII grid file,  then it was processed in terrain sculptor and finally imported into Arcmap for the application of hillshade.
If I process the dem (tif) original in arcmap I get a hillshade with proper contrast but unfortunately in this way without generalization of the land, for this reason I was wondering if there is an internal tool to arcgis for generalization.

339pttw.jpg

tangnar

tangnar

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Rivers, Urban Design, Geomorphology, Bicycling, Outdoors
  • United States

You can also create a new color ramp with a low end of gray instead of black.  So your hillshade raster would be stretched between white and 50% gray, or something like that. 

...With contrast and brightness in  Display tab, it seems to me that the dynamic contrast always remains very high

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

To create terrain generalization in ArcMap I run focal statistics on my DEMs.

Depending on the original resolution and the desired outcome a 5x5 neighborhood Focal Mean smooths things out quite nice. I would clip out a small area for testing and experiment until you get what your desired result.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Kate Leroux

Kate Leroux

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • United States

There's some helpful guidance in this blog post by Daniel Huffman: https://somethingabo...n-in-photoshop/ (start about halfway down, where he says, "Next up is the shaded relief."). 

I saw his talk about this at NACIS this year and it was chock full of useful tools and techniques for terrain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->