7 replies to this topic

glenp

glenp

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

Greetings all,

Has anyone run across decent data repositories for paleoclimatological data?

Yeah, not that usual.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there is spatial data out there that depicts glacial extent / ice sheet extents for various periods in the past.

More pressing for me is to find data representing the extent of the Laurentide Ice Sheet (about 18,000-20,000 ybp). I've seen wildly varying expressions of "ice cap/sheet" coverage but this interpretation is closest to what I am seeking (see image).

Thanks everyone!

Glen

Attached Thumbnails

• laurentide_ice_sheet.v2.jpg

GeographyNerd

GeographyNerd

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Remote Sensing, Physical Geography, Watershed Processes and Management, Fossil Hunting, Fishing, Bowling, Beagles
  • United States

That would be some interesting data. Could you post a link if you find it? 

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Maybe NOAA has some useful stuff, although it looks like you'll have to dig through a lot of information to get what you want.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

glenp

glenp

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

Yes, there are plenty of random data sets out there...I'm finding it a challenge to land on a site that has more than their own very niche area of study though.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Secret Mystery Schools
  • Canada

Go onto Adapt 2030 and ask David DuByne whether he knows where to find the data.  Mr DuByne is an out of the box researcher who studies climate change carefully to backup convincingly that global warming is a hoax and global cooling is the reality. 

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

SteveR

SteveR

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Randall Munroe does the web comic XKCD.com that deals with scientific and philosophical topics.

Here's a wiki of one dealing with global warming that explains the comic and provides data sources:

https://www.explainx...rature_Timeline

And this is a link to a blog where the content of the comic is discussed:

http://forums.xkcd.c...hp?f=7&t=119228

Steve Richardson

glenp

glenp

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

I came across something that could lead to more investigation...

http://booksite.else...34477/index.php

The data is a bit unwieldy to manage. But it does reflect research of the Last Glacial Maximum (I'm unclear as to why areas where sea ice would be expected are empty though).

WorldLGMr.jpg

tangnar

tangnar

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Rivers, Urban Design, Geomorphology, Bicycling, Outdoors
  • United States

This could be a good question for earth science stack exchange http://earthscience....kexchange.com/ 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Climate, Paleoclimate, Data, Glacier, Ice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->