• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

jerseysbest

jerseysbest

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Road and Mtn Biking, vintage Mustangs, skiing, guitar, and maps of course.
  • United States

Hmmm...

Having seen the Hudson River, I'm not sure whether I would want to take a drink from that...  :blink: <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_5201-->

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NJ is a diverse place, culturally, physiographically, politcally, etc.

Probably my biggest pet peeve is hearing people talk about Jersey and thinking the entire state is made up of refineries, turnpikes, and marshland cause they flew in to Newark and took a cab to Manhatten.

But still, I wouldnt drink water from the Hudson either. :D
Apparently two GE plants in NY, as well as others, have in my opinion destroyed the river and even makes eating fish all the way down on the Jersey shore risky as best.

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Hmmm...
Probably my biggest pet peeve is hearing people talk about Jersey and thinking the entire state is made up of refineries, turnpikes, and marshland cause they flew in to Newark and took a cab to Manhatten.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I grew up in Lawrenceville (between Princeton and Trenton), and ditto what you say. I tell people who grimace when I say I grew up in NJ there are actually two places: Joisey and New Jersey. Joisey is what you see from the Turnpike or the Parkway on the way to Newark Airport, or out the windows of the Amtrak/NJ Transit train. New Jersey is the perfectly nice if somewhat overdeveloped rest of the state.

You from Joisey? what exit?

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

Growing up in the Bronx I used to kid with all my Jersey friends -- 'If Jersey is so great why do they make you pay to get out?'

Seriously-once you get away from the refineries there are lots of great places in Jersey (The Shore, Palisades, and the water gap area to name a few.)

The only think that really bothers me about Jersey is that the roads don't follow the conventions of the rest of the country. To me Jersey is the only place in the United States where it is possible to get lost!

Rich

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

The only think that really bothers me about Jersey is that the roads don't follow the conventions of the rest of the country.  To me Jersey is the only place in the United States where it is possible to get lost!

Rich

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jersey was the king of industry back in the day... it seems like they were always first to implement new transportation technology... the NJ Turnpike... Route 1... thus we have lots of leftovers :)

Now I've been in Jersey for about 20 years, and I see how our roads can be confusing, but the only place I get lost is in Philadelphia!

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • United States

The only think that really bothers me about Jersey is that the roads don't follow the conventions of the rest of the country.  To me Jersey is the only place in the United States where it is possible to get lost!

Rich

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now I've been in Jersey for about 20 years, and I see how our roads can be confusing, but the only place I get lost is in Philadelphia!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A true cartographer can get lost anywhere! :D
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->