razornole

razornole

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Recreational Cartography
  • United States

Does anyone know anyway to select overprint objects in either Illustrator or InDesign?

Is there a way to disable overprinting in Illy or InD, a script or something?

I have 10s of thousands of object in my map/s and Illustrator just randomly select objects and makes them an overprint object.  There is no way for me to tell which lines or fills are overprint. 

I was going to press this morning, but on the final walk through in Photoshop I noticed one of my icons was semi-transparent.  6 hours later I am still going through all my files that make up the map/s and trying to remove the random overprint objects. I hate overprint, why would Illustrator just make objects overprint?  

Thanks,

kru

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Daniel Huffman

Daniel Huffman

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

Not sure why this might have happened, but you can turn overprint off in Illustrator's "Attributes" panel. So, I'd select all your objects, open that panel, and untick the Overprint Fill box. Hopefully that will solve things!

razornole

razornole

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Recreational Cartography
  • United States

Thanks Daniel,

Ultimately your method did work, I tried that on my backup version, once I had learned which objects where set to overprint (I wrote down notes as went through each path).  What was frustrating while I was learning how to remove the overprint is that there are 3 settings; on with a check mark, off where it is unchecked, and neutral which has a dash and I think means some objects in the layer or group or compound path are overprint and some are not.  I would select the master layer and and force it to unchecked, then I would test select a sublayer and it would be neutral again, so I was forced to look at each group/compound path/or clipping mask in that sublayer because all of them were set to neutral.  Once I released or ungrouped and looked at each individual path or object, none were set to overprint. If I grouped them back up it would go back to neutral (although none of the individual paths were set to overprint).  Basically, I had no way of knowing without going through each individual path.  It took me 8 hours of work to do that.  Oh well, I will go to press this morning.  I just had to learn the hard way.

I was hoping there was a method to select object by its overprint attribute or do separation in InDesign (like I do to see if there are any spot colors in my work).

Thanks,

kru

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

jamierob

jamierob

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

Here's a script that will remove all overprints on strokes and fills for all objects (including locked objects) in the document:

http://illustrator.h..._all_overprints

On a Mac, place the script in: 

/Applications/Adobe Illustrator CS6/Presets.localized/en_US/Scripts/

Something similar to this on Windows

Then restart illustrator and run it by going File>Scripts>remove_all_overprints

Hope that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->