• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Joshua Bearden

Joshua Bearden

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Canada

Hello Cartotalkers,

I found this forum while trying to rapidly educate myself about GIS and cartography for the purpose of designing a historical game simulating nautical exploration and naval combat during the Age of Sail.  Perhaps I'm being a bit too "try hard" but I have the notion right now that a custom geocode database containing placenames and political boundaries based on historical records would be an excellent back end to my game.  

I've joined this forum hoping to learn enough about GIS to be able to build "toy" maps for these purposes.  But that aside I've always loved maps and found cartography inherently fascinating.  So I'm hoping to expand my general knowledge just by being here.

Also in regular life I'm a lawyer living and working in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Cheers,

Joshua Bearden

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • United States

Welcome, Joshua! Sounds like fun. :)

I hope you will be able to post maps in the gallery when you have some to show off (or get critique on if you want).

Dave Barnes
Retired
Map Geek

Daniel Huffman

Daniel Huffman

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

Welcome! I've long been pushing for there to be more connection between the world of people who make maps for games and the world of professional cartographers. I think there's great opportunity there for collaboration.

As you go forward, you'll probably find that historical boundary data are very hard to come by in ready-to-use form. It would be great if there were something like Natural Earth (naturalearthdata.com) for the non-contemporary world.

Michael Schmeling

Michael Schmeling

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Germany

Do you know about the http://www.cartographersguild.com? If not it may be interesting for you.

Michael Schmeling
Kassel, Germany
Arid Ocean Map Illustrations
http://maps.aridocean.com
Indie Cartographer
http://www.indiecartographer.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • United States

You'd want not just boundaries, but other human/political features and info and even physical features (especially coastlines and rivers and lakes and other water features, natural and human-made or -modified). Ideally you'd want Natural Earth for multiple time frames. Effectively multiplying Natural Earth by time. Could be a massive undertaking! But very cool. :)

Dave Barnes
Retired
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->