Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Hello map lovers,

This is the third and final map in my series of Savannah illustrated maps: the Bonaventure Cemetery Illustrated Map.

It's been out since January 1, 2016 and has gotten quite the popular response. This cemetery in Savannah, GA is the 4th most visited attraction in the city. Over 800,000 people visit a year. It is ranked the #2 most beautiful cemetery in the U.S. Most visitors take tours to learn of the notable historical burials and to see museum-like monuments all set in a garden-like Victorian-era landscape. It's a photographer's haven. It is also a working cemetery with funerals and many locals whose family members are buried within. I had visited there four times previously and got lost each time as the roads, paths, avenues and alleys was simply maze-like. It was very difficult to find a particular historical gravesite, too. All that was available by the city run cemetery department was a letter-sized black and white flat 2D map. It was utterly useless and devoid of any valued content. I saw that I could definitely improve upon this map and also tap into the tourism market just like my two previous Savannah Illustrated maps.

You can see some of the production progression here on my Bonaventure Map Facebook Page of how I went from designing a flat map, skewing it into 3D, and then literally walking the cemetery for hours on end taking notes, photos and sketching. I also took a tour with one of the best guides in the industry to gain more knowledge of the content to be on the map. Conducted a lot of research, worked with the Bonaventure Historical Society and even hired my niece to help with the writing and re-writing, giving her a first publication she could put her author name on. When I had a prototype of both sides of the map, I printed high-resolution posters and presented the work to over 70 members of the historical society to get their feedback, buy-in, and retail sales opportunity. It was so thrilling to see them pressing their noses close to the map and searching, then smiling with pride saying their great grandmother or great grandfather is buried in a particular plot. Working hand-in-hand with members of the society was highly important for accuracy and to set the tone for respecting those loved-ones of family members interred within. Although this is a tourism map, you can feel the seriousness in the writing of the factoids and content. It is not only a navigational tool, but an educational piece. That's how I've created all three of my retail Savannah maps.

I used Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign as software to create this publication. Printed 4,000 for the initial run. 18x27" flat size folds to 4x9" brochure.

Do enjoy!

Here's a small-sized version below. To see close-ups and both sides of the map, visit these two links: KarpovageCreative.com or at Mapformation.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bonaventure Side A small.jpg

• DaveB and Mike Boruta like this

--
Michael Karpovage

• Retail and Commissioned Maps Portfolio
www.karpovagecreative.com/maps

• Account Manager/Senior Cartographer
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.karpovagecreative.com/novels

razornole

razornole

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Recreational Cartography
  • United States

Looks good.  Of course I would like to explore it in more depth.  I always enjoy getting lost in your maps, but I don't really have the option with this one.   I guess the obvious answer is to buy it and then I can look at it all I want.  I will get back to Savannah one of these days, and will find your maps.

Thanks for posting,

kru

• Michael Karpovage likes this
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • United States

Razornole, try this link and do full screen. Is hi-res zoomable where you can explore. I will edit my original post with this link. Thanks so much for the positive feedback.

Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

Mike Boruta

Mike Boruta

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • United States

Michael...amazing work (as always)! Thanks for posting and also for sharing some of the behind the scenes work on facebook. It is an utterly fascinating map and pretty much 100000x times better than the one that proceeded it.

• Michael Karpovage likes this

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • United States

Michael...amazing work (as always)! Thanks for posting and also for sharing some of the behind the scenes work on facebook. It is an utterly fascinating map and pretty much 100000x times better than the one that proceeded it.

Mike Boruta, thank you very much. Yeah, once I saw the map below handed to me at the Visitor's Center some time ago I cringed. No wonder why everyone used to get lost. 

What's cool in the layout of the roads in the cemetery is a hidden side profile of a skull facing East. Evergreen Circle is the curved top and back of the skull and the oval within Plantation Square serves as the All-Seeing Eye. It's quite prevalent on the old map, more subtle on my map.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bonaventure-Cemetery rough map.jpg

• Mike Boruta likes this

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com