2 replies to this topic

piers

piers

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Playing the blues, fishing
  • Canada

I grew up in Greenwood Nova Scotia,Canada. After high school I was trained in Commercial and Graphic Arts. After a number of years working in Toronto Ontario I returned to Nova Scotia and attended the Nova Scotia Land Survey Institute (now The Centre of Geographic Sciences or COGS).
After graduation from the Cartography Program in 1979 I worked for the Wildlife Division of the Nova Scotia Department of Lands and Forests producing wetland area mapping, bathymetric maps, special purpose maps, and illustrations.
From there I moved to New Glasgow N.S. to work for the County Planning Commission to produce land use and other thematic mapping in support of the commission planners.
The oil boom in the early 80's drew me to Edmonton Alberta where I worked for 11 years with Planning Services Division of Alberta Municipal Affairs.
With the bust that followed the oil boom and subsequent downsizing of the Alberta Government I started my own company, THABTOS Mapping & Graphics Ltd. and produced Land Ownership Maps, Municipal GIS, and other digital cartographic products for municipalities and corporations in Alberta.
From THABTOS I moved on to Land Data Technologies Inc. to work with their Geomatics Division producing digital cartographic products and GIS projects for both urban and rural municipalities.
Currently I am enjoying instructing in the Cartography Program at COGS, where I am meeting new challenges daily.
My other interests include music (I have played in 3 blues bands over the years, have 1 CD under my belt, and can be found hosting an open mike one night a month at the local pub), digital video editing and production, photography and trout fishing.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Welcome to the forum, Piers.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Welcome to the forum Piers! We are lucky to have such experienced forum members. It's also great to have a fellow musician and trout fisherman hanging around! Erin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->