3 replies to this topic

vW Maps

vW Maps

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Australia

Is Ortelius a good substitute for Adobe Illustrator? How about Affinity Designer or OCAD? 

Personally I was stymied by Affinity Designer and OCAD seems too expensive to me. 

Hands up, please -- who's enjoying Ortelius?

MvW

Martin von Wyss
vW Maps
Publisher of Australian Wine Maps
twitter: vwmaps

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Well I think that Ortelius is far more capable than Affinity Designer or even AI (without Mapublisher) to make maps. I've tried Ortelius a little bit and as OCAD user I have to say that some features are really second to none like line symbol transition, bridge placing, line labels,... It is really a nice piece of software on the crossroad between more strict and beginner unfriendly special cartographic software (OCAD) and flexible vector illustration software like AI. Price wise is no brainer. It is dirt cheap! But I'm using OCAD because its color map capabilities where each color can block or translucently mask other color. It is hard to grasp color map for OCAD beginers but it is really second to none. Oh there is some of this capability in Arcgis but it is a pain to work there and to setup all cartographic symbols. Oh I really wish a mix of Ortelius and OCAD!

• vW Maps likes this

Curry

Curry

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Japan

Hi,
have you try other options? I
 can share other alternative solution for your reference, such as: ArcGIS, SuperGIS or QGIS...etc

Those GIS softare provides comprehensive and powerful GIS capabilities to assist you in performing advanced spatial analysis, spatial data creation, and visualize results on professional-quality maps. 

I prefer using SuperGIS because it offers professional GIS product selections to fulfill GIS experts' needs and help them to accomplish diverse GIS tasks.

best regards, :)

Agnar Renolen

Agnar Renolen

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • No Country Selected

openorienteering.org is a free alternative.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vector, Illustrator, Ortelius, affinity designer, OCAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->