Tom Patterson

Tom Patterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • United States

Hi CartoTalk,

I made a World Political Map that brings together several products that I have helped develop through the years. They include Natural Earth vector data, a manual shaded relief of the world, and the Natural Earth, Natural Earth 2, and Patterson projections.

The three versions of the map are available as layered Adobe Illustrator files that you can use “as is” or modify to create new maps. They are in the public domain. The version in the Natural Earth projection has MAPublisher georeferencing and I hope to georeference the other two projections later this year.

If you see any errors or inconsistencies, please send me a private email.

Thanks!

• Mike Boruta likes this

pghardy

pghardy

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • United Kingdom

If you see any errors or inconsistencies, please send me a private email. Thanks!

You have mail. I'm being pedantic, but the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey which are marked as U.K. do not belong to the United Kingdom. See http://en.wikipedia....iki/Isle_of_Man and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guernsey . In short they belong to The Crown (currently represented by Elizabeth II),e.g. as Lord of Man. See also my (very unofficial) Countries of the British Isles map.

--
Paul Hardy
ESRI Europe (phardy@esri.com)

Tom Patterson

Tom Patterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • United States

Paul,

Thanks for pointing this out. I changed the "Guernsey (UK)" and "Jersey (UK)" labels to the font representing dependencies or areas of special sovereignty, which addresses at least part of the issue.

But I did not delete "(U.K.)." Considering the worldwide map scale, the tiny size of these islands, and their nuanced political status, giving a longer explanation would be a case of TMI. Your map at a much larger scale does a fine job of explaining this.

Curry

Curry

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Japan

Thanks for pointing this out. 

It works for me~ =)

Koen Adams

Koen Adams

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Belgium

Hi Tom,

what a beautiful map. Thanks for sharing and thanks for all your knowledge and know-how in your wonderful tutorials.

Koen.

Vector Map Royalty-Free | Printable and Editable

www.onestopmap.com

IainS

IainS

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Australia

Great map and resource. I was wondering in this day and age, how on earth you are going to keep it up-to-date?

Cheers

Iain

Tom Patterson

Tom Patterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • United States

Aside from fixing blatant errors that come to light, I anticipate making only occasional updates. The world is a politically fractious place. However, mainstream political maps published in the west are typically conservative. It takes considerable time for changes to existing country boundaries, country names, and capital cities to gain broad acceptance. My plan is to take things slow and watch what the rest of the cartographic herd is doing.

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Tom, just wanted to thank you for creating this map and making it public domain. You did an enormous amount of work. And most excellent work, too!

• DaveB likes this

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users