2 replies to this topic

Jill S-S

Jill S-S

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

"The telling of history needs illustrative maps. In a rather simple view, history is the movement of people across geography in the past…"

Author and historian Pieter S. Burggraaf discusses the role of maps in written history in his new book, The Walker Party, The Revised Story: Across New Mexico and Arizona Territories and up the Hassayampa River, 1861-1863. Pieter has kindly shared with us this excerpt, Written History Needs Maps. In general, maps in history books are lacking, and it's a a topic that he is passionate about. 

"The book represents seven years of research and writing," Pieter kindly remarks about our software, "Ortelius, the interpretation that it provides to my story, is part of the reason that I persisted."

Jill Saligoe-Simmel, Ph.D.
Ortelius™ Creative Map Design Software for the Mac
www.mapdiva.com

Curry

Curry

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Japan

thank you for your sharing, I think is a important element for written history  :D

IainS

IainS

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Australia

Well as an archaeologist working in the historical period I can certainly endorse the view that historian not only need more and better maps in their published works but they also need to be able to read them as well! That being said I want to recommend "Mastering Iron" by Anne Kelly Knowles as an example of a history with maps and GIS and cartography (done by Chester Harvey).

Iain

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: history, historical mapping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->