7 replies to this topic

Daniel Huffman

Daniel Huffman

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

I wanted to share what has proven to be a very valuable resource for data, which comes to me via Sam Matthews (mapsam.com): Overpass Turbo — http://overpass-turbo.eu/

It can look a bit intimidating, but it's pretty easy to work with. Go click the "Wizard" button, and then type in a query like "highway = trunk." It will grab the data and show every major highway on the map on the right. It pulls data for whatever area you've got shown on the right-side map. To download, click "Export"

Today, I needed all the major roads in a county. Normally, I can find a government dataset that either has a) every single road ever, or b) just the main highways. I needed something in-between those, and all I had to do was go to Overpass Turbo, and in the wizard do a query of "highway = motorway OR highway = trunk OR highway = primary" and it pulled the top 3 levels of roads for me. I downloaded them, kicked them in to Arc, and I'm on my way to my map. No need to sort through TIGER data picking out the roads I want.

You can make use of more than just roads data. Anything OSM has can be grabbed. Consult the handy feature list for stuff you can download: http://wiki.openstre...ki/Map_Features

Pretty handy stuff. If you want to get fancy, you can access the Overpass API with your own scripts, but if you don't know anything about scripting, or just don't care to make one, Overpass Turbo makes it easy to just look around and download what you want.

• Hans van der Maarel, Mike Boruta and Anton van Tetering like this

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

O. M. G.

This is amazing!!! So far I've used WeoGeo to make extracts out of the OSM dataset (because, let's face it, OSM itself is rather useless for that, it's all great and fine and dandy and free and open until you actually want to get your hands on the data) but that doesn't allow for queries within the layers, and for some projects it still meant I had to wade through a lot of data to get to the stuff I needed.

Thank you very much for sharing this.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

tangnar

tangnar

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Rivers, Urban Design, Geomorphology, Bicycling, Outdoors
  • United States

Looks like an awesome resource, thanks!

Anton van Tetering

Anton van Tetering

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Netherlands

Thank you very much for sharing this. Just tried it with the query "natural=glacier" for a part of the Alps and it works perfect.

Anton van Tetering

Studio Haverstraat maps and panoramic photography
http://www.studio-haverstraat.nl

skorasaurus

skorasaurus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States

It's a great resource. One of the biggest impediments to using OpenStreetMap Data technically is actually obtaining the data itself.

I've been using this and its parent, Overpass, for a couple years now and it's by far the easiest way to obtain OSM data if you want just a specific feature type or 2.

Overpass Turbo is much easier (in its syntax and I'd recommend to use Overpass Turbo syntax) than Overpass but you can use both of them on Overpass Turbo.

By the way, if you want some more examples of queries, check out http://wiki.openstre..._turbo/Examples

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

The discussion about building footprints sent me back to this thread, and what looks like an extremely useful tool.

Suppose I use Overpass Turbo to query OSM for all the hospitals in the Chicago metro area.  How exactly would I export/save/get those points into ArcMap 10?

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Daniel Huffman

Daniel Huffman

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

Overpass Turbo doesn't export shapefiles, but it does export KML and GeoJSON. Arc can take a KML (in the toolbox, under Conversion Tools-->From KML). I haven't looked for it in the software, but looking online, it appears that ArcMap 10.2 also lets you bring in GeoJSONs through the same toolbox. Once it's in, you can save it out as a shapefile if you prefer it in that form.

Andy Woodruff

Andy Woodruff

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

To add another link to this topic, https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/ can be useful in conjunction with Overpass Turbo. You can get a lot of information about the tags and features, such as how and where values are distributed. Once you've drilled down to a key or value, there's a link to Overpass Turbo on the right side, which will take you there with the relevant query loaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->