tangnar

tangnar

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Rivers, Urban Design, Geomorphology, Bicycling, Outdoors
  • United States

I have been working on a map (still a draft) that is a first for me in two ways. One, it is the first large poster sized map that I have made. Two, it is the first time I have made a map almost completely in QGIS's print composer.  

I would appreciate all opinions on this map. It's still a draft, so I know that there are still some labels that need to be moved, etc. Specifically, I would like to know your opinions on relative font sizes for different elements of this map (remember, it's a poster, initially 3x4 feet). I know it's hard to judge a map of this size on a computer screen.

A note about QGIS print composer.  Overall, I think it is possible to get some nice results. I like it better than ArcGIS, especially with different fills and blending modes. There are definitely some tricky things that are tedious, but it seems like a really good start on a GIS package with a nice map composer.  I think it will continue to get better. 

Again, any recommendations or comments are welcome. Thank you in advance for helping me make this map better!

LINK TO MAP: http://freewheelmaps.com/images/scenicDraft.png 

p.s. I've enjoyed the professional opinions and topics on this forum since I recently joined, and decided to become a member of NACIS because if it.  Thanks! 

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Very nice map, I think the only really major issue that I have with it is the text placement along some of the smaller rivers. You may want to consider manually drawing lines that approximate the course of the river and label those (it kinda looks like you've done that for the bigger ones)

In addition to that, it appears there's a lake just west of Barnville that has no area fill.

p.s. I've enjoyed the professional opinions and topics on this forum since I recently joined, and decided to become a member of NACIS because if it.  Thanks!

As a NACIS board member, I'm very pleased to hear this.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Really nice map tagnar123.  You've overcome lots of challenges to get to this point and there is a lot to like with this map.  I really like the juxtaposition of the figure/ground using generalized terrain/hydro features.  You might continue the state boundary line or at least add more state labels.  I'm not sure who your audience is, but there doesn't seem to be a label for South Carolina.  The ocean is visually overwhelming and I think you might want to turn the value way down so it's more of a background feature rather than having it compete with the subject matter.

Using 100% black can really pull and your scale bars and N. arrow are pretty heavy.  Making them simpler and less pronounced will help.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

nyalldawson

nyalldawson

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Australia

Great looking map! I'm keen to hear about any suggestions/issues you ran into with QGIS' print composer -- I really want to make the composer the best "in-GIS" layout tool available ;)

tangnar

tangnar

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Rivers, Urban Design, Geomorphology, Bicycling, Outdoors
  • United States

Thanks for the input, folks. Appreciated!

Curry

Curry

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Japan

Hi I think your map so great!.

I don't have excellent art design, you could refer QGIS, ArcGIS, SuperGIS, MapInfo...etc
As I know, there are several built-in templates provided in "Standard." Objects contained in each template can be modified and performed.
In this way, users are easily able to apply designed ones as the layout template. =)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cartography, rivers, south carolina, QGIS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->