Photo

Where do I acquire DEM Data or Satellite Imagery for DR/Haiti? (preferably the affordable kind)

- - - - - DEM Data haiti acquistion gis satellite imagery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

jonathanelevy

jonathanelevy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Web-Based Mapping, Mapping in Art & New Media
  • United States

Does anyone know where I can acquire good DEM data or satellite imagery for Haiti/Dominican Republic?

I'm looking to make shaded relief maps that I can stylize myself for use in a documentary film.  I'm going to be zooming into some pretty small areas, approximately 100 sq meters.

I'm also looking for High Resolution Satellite Imagery for this area.  This would be either to drape over the relief or just use on its own. I'm attaching the smallest coverage area that I will be depicting.

It's extremely hard to track down a good affordable source for high quality international data.  Your help is greatly appreciated. 

Jonathan

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

For DEM I think Aster GDEM is the most detailed available at 1.5 arcsecond resolution. For satellite imagery it's probably going to be Landsat 8, Tom Patterson has written an excellent tutorial on how to obtain and process that.

If you have Global Mapper, both these datasets can be downloaded automagically through there, I find myself using that most of the time to save me the frustration of dealing with various download sites.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

jonathanelevy

jonathanelevy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Web-Based Mapping, Mapping in Art & New Media
  • United States

Hans, thank you so much for this information. Very useful and I plan on going through Tom Patterson's tutorial. I also plan on DL'ing Aster GDEM through earth explorer. 

If anyone has advice for affordable satellite imagery for an overhead view of DR/Haiti that would be awesome. So far I've found it to cost in the thousands and that just won't cut it.  

Cheers!

SteveR

SteveR

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • United States

Jonathan, Global Mapper (using the options Online Data Source, Imagery, World Imagery)also can access high resolution imagery for Haiti.

If you don't have Global Mapper, with a little more difficulty, you may be able to get to it from the following source page.

http://www.arcgis.co...f6a7f08febac2a9

Steve

Curry

Curry

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Japan

Hello, jonathanelevy

You may could try download Landsat image data.

It's free and available data.

wish can help you!

best regards

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DEM, Data, haiti, acquistion, gis, satellite imagery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->