• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

ohmymaps

ohmymaps

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi all,

I have been playing with making night time maps of cities as seen from space for the last year. Its taken a while, but I'm finally happy with the results and would like any opinions and critiques.

They mirror the shots as taken by the astronauts from the ISS which i absolutely love, but when i wanted to print a poster of the London image i found that they were all too blurry or too small to look good...so i set about making my own.

The road information is Openstreetmap of course, and every road is in there. The prints look great for close up viewing up to 1mx1m and i am currently perfecting a technique involving 3d software (my profession is as a broadcast 3d animator and compositor) that will allow for much closer maps, with far higher detail.

Here is a link to some higher res images.

Thank you for looking and i welcome all crits and opinions...

https://www.flickr.c...s/23234919@N03/

Attached Thumbnails

• OMMHELSINKIL.jpg
  • OMMSANFRANL.jpg
  • OMMPARISL.jpg
  • OMMLONDONL.jpg
  • OMMCHICAGOL.jpg
  • OMM_NYC.jpg

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

They look very nice, good luck! But I guess they are not strictly night time light/maps - they are actually street network maps with a nighttime look?

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

david17tym

david17tym

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • United Kingdom

lovely effect Marc, can I ask are you applying the luminosity simply by road catergory?

I use the word "simply" not as a criticism - some of the most effective design is often the simplest...

ohmymaps

ohmymaps

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

lovely effect Marc, can I ask are you applying the luminosity simply by road catergory?

I use the word "simply" not as a criticism - some of the most effective design is often the simplest...

Haha...no offence taken. I know what you meant. I applied the different luminosities according to minor, main, motorway and building layers. Coupled with a long time tested technique do distributing lights using my 3d software. Then layering and compositing...lots and lots and lots of that.

Thanks for the comments guys. Have a great weekend.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Canada

Very nicely done.

Andreas Michos

Andreas Michos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Greece

Amazing work, you could use parameters such as traffic flow, land use zones or even vegetation cover..

Awesome inspiration.

Thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: city, night, nighttime, map, space

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->