Photo

How do I create area limited parcels from existing parcel data?

- - - - - geoprocessing parcels arcgis eliminate

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

thecartodiv

thecartodiv

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Australia

I have an existing set of forestry compartment parcels of various sizes which need to be aggregated into larger parcels by combining contiguous parcels so that no individual parcel exceeds 1500 ha but approaches this size as much as possible. I'm sure that the Eliminate (Data Management) tool can be used to achieve this (using the length option to avoid creating elongated parcels) but need help on limiting aggregation past the area threshold. Any ideas most welcome!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I assume it is ArcGIS, right?

What if you dissolved first, then removed polygons above 1500 ha, and unioned with the original layer, then you would have to remove the ones that are on top of each other (not sure how to do that, but can't be that difficult).

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

The issue with aggregating lots to represent smaller parcels runs into fallacies, unless this is a government client looking to change government owned property which in turn would be handed down to a property mapper.  I've worked as a parcel mapper for two months, and what of the  legal issues with this project?  Who are the property owners of these lots?  Is there a reason that you are aggregating individual lots to be near 1500ha?  Are the owners aware that this project is underway?  Foremost are you assigned with the duty to remap the lots with legal permission which would in turn involve a resurvey of the land and a new assigned PID?

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: geoprocessing, parcels, arcgis, eliminate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->