• 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

NACIS members produce a Map Quilt as part of the conference in October. Each participating cartographer gets an area of coverage, scale and projection, and can do whatever they want cartographically with it.

This year the area is around Pittsburgh, where the conference will be. As part of my continuing exploration of Bartholomew and Sons cartography, I did the attached. It's in the style of their London Plan, one of the early maps I fell in love with. Now, the density of this area of Pittsburgh is a lot lighter than London. And this doesn't do much for showing the incredible ups and downs of the nieghborhoods. And while I'm mostly OK with how it turned out, I'm not 100% satisfied, and so I turn to you: what isn't working about this, given that it's referring to a specific older model?

All thoughts welcome. Thanks!

Attached Files

• Bogdanovits likes this

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Daniel Huffman

Daniel Huffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

Beautiful work! I could have easily mistaken it for a historic piece.

I'm not quite sold on the type style for Pittsburgh and the other administrative units, though I'm having trouble articulating why it feels a little out of place. Could you try it with a bold version of the serif?

I think the rail lines are too dense, as well. They almost blend together into a larger single giant railroad. Maybe thin them to show the gaps more, or reduce the number of tracks?

I gotta get in on this Map Quilt one of these years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->