8 replies to this topic

Bernhard Jenny

Bernhard Jenny

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

We are conducting an academic study entitled “Map-Reader Preference for World Map Projection.” The purpose of this research is to define what shapes of world maps map-readers prefer, and we would like to know your opinion about your preferred shape of world maps.

If you can spare 15 to 20 minutes, please follow the link to our survey: http://oregonstate.q...bpl1tczVq6Sduv3

For more information about this study, please contact the principal investigator, Bernie Jenny, by email at jennyb@geo.oregonstate.edu.

Thank you for your help!

Bernie Jenny, Assistant Professor (principal investigator)
Bojan Savric, PhD Student (student researcher)
Oregon State University

http://cartography.oregonstate.edu

Bogdanovits

Bogdanovits

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:map history
  • Australia

Hi

I love projections.

I have studied more than a year this topic in details at university (I have MSc in Cartography) and i have few preferred and one "hated" too :-)

...but I gave up at half of survey :-(

It is too long (or I was too tired) and the question is too wide.

What is my preferred shape of word? Will be different for different size, content and reader types.

Advice for success:

Make is shorter or easier to choose. :-)

Cheers

Andras

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I soldiered through the whole thing, but I agree it's rather lengthy which makes it difficult to be consistent.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I went through the whole thing, but I didn't worry too much about trying to be consistent (like I had much choice in that case! Who can remember all of the selections they made? ha ha).

As for the question about which types of maps you use most often I think it should allow multiple selections. I use paper and digital about equally. It depends on the reason I'm using them and the circumstances I'm using them in, among other factors.

Good luck with your research!

Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

First of all  if I am to take your survey then I want to know why it exists?  What is the purpose of it? (Okay that has been answered yet:

" The purpose of this research is to define what shapes of world maps map-readers prefer, and we would like to know your opinion about your preferred shape of world maps." 

Is there another purpose on why you are doing this survey? When are you going to release the results?  Who gets to see the results?  How is the data that you get from the results going to be used?  What is the justification for the lengthy survey?  Who benefits from the survey?

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Bernhard Jenny

Bernhard Jenny

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the comments and for participating in this survey.

The purpose of this study is to better understand what kind of world map projections the general public likes. The rationale is that cartographers have a variety of projections to choose from, but we do not sufficiently know what projections map readers prefer. For example, do people prefer projections with pole lines or pole points? Do they prefer interrupted projections to non-interrupted projections? Our goal is to find answers to this type of questions, and provide additional guidance for the selection of world map projections.

We are spreading this survey to two groups. One group consists of general map readers without expertise in map making. Our major recruiting tool for this group is Mechanical Turk, but we are also including other participants. The other group are cartographers (hence this posting). We would like to find out whether there are significant differences between the two groups.

The results of this study will be presented at the AutoCarto conference this fall, and will be published in a journal article. We will also make the results publicly available on our website.

Thanks,
Bernie

l.jegou

l.jegou

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Webmapping, thematical mapping.
  • France

The survey should explain in what use, what action, the preference is evaluated : reading a world map, creating one, teaching one, showing one to a certain public, etc.

Where can we be informed of the results of this survey ? It will be interesting :-)

Agnar Renolen

Agnar Renolen

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • No Country Selected

I recently made a wall world map for the Norwegian branch og Medicins Sans Frontiers. I used Tom Patterson's Natural Earth oblique relief as foundation, then added country borders, capitals and other major cities with Norwegian labels.

Interestingly, they expected a rectangular map, not an oval one. Then I had to explain them that the earth isn't rectangular and the problems with distortion in the polar regions (in which Norway is situated) when the world is depicted as a rectangle.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I had a similar issue years ago when I was first involved with making globes (the infamous Oolaalaa globe chairs). The company also offered "specials" to corporate customers. This could be as easy as just putting some big logo's on empty patches of ocean, but in some cases I had to map non-geographic stuff on a globe. I kept telling them that if they gave me a grid of square images to map they'd end up with triangles at the poles.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->