- - - - - interactive desktop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

KarenM

KarenM

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:historical maps & maps illustrating history, urban tree canopies, women explorers, and scientists
  • United States

Hi all- I'm looking for some advice here on a new map I've been assigned to make for an upcoming event.

• The map: I need to make an interactive state map showing the locations of certain utilities.  The map will be loaded on to a Windows computer that will be stationed in an exhibit at a state fair.   I won't have access to the event computer until shortly before the fair starts, so I want to make something fairly simple that can be transferred with minimal dependencies.  The internet will not be available at the fair.

• The software for the data: I have access to both ArcGIS & QGIS at my office to prepare the data.

• The application: I am a little stumped on the best way to present a standalone interactive map.  The ones that I have made were all installed on a server and used online basemaps and hosted script libraries. The only thing that I can think of is to download Leaflet or Openlayers to my desktop and make the map as a local html file that is viewed using the browser.  However,  I feel like there is a more obvious choice that I am overlooking.  ArcGIS Explorer? Has anyone here ever made an interactive map like this- i.e. for an exhibit?

Thanks!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Exactly how interactive does this map have to be? Layer control? Querying objects? Measurements?

If you want to use Leaflet or OpenLayers you'll have to create a local basemap too. It's doable, but takes up extra work.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

KarenM

KarenM

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:historical maps & maps illustrating history, urban tree canopies, women explorers, and scientists
  • United States

Thanks for the comment on creating a basemap being a lot of work- I poked around in QGIS for a while and discovered this new plugin called TileCache Creator (https://plugins.qgis...lecachecreator/).  I had to monkey around with it for awhile, but it does work- creates local raster tiles of publicly hosted basemaps, such as OSM.  It's a relief to know that I can use this if needed.

As far as how interactive, I haven't decided yet and it will likely be up to me to determine.  It's for the general public, so I don't want it to be too complicated.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

You can use TileMill to create a tile cache as well, with loads of settings for CartoCSS and styling.

I would consider setting up a local webserver and using regular web map tools that way - you would need to download the libraries you use and put them on the local server.

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Oh, now I read the part about you not having access to the computer...

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I would probably lean toward a PDF with layers that can be turned on or off, and with hyperlinks to display attributes or popup info.  You can also do something similar with ordinary HTML; it's just that you have to decide up front on all the possible map views and capture them as images.  Here's an example I did a few years ago.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->