Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Hey guys,

Here's a 3D birds-eye-view pictorial map I designed in Adobe Illustrator for the Pinehurst Resort and the Village of Pinehurst, North Carolina. They are now hosting the 2014 U.S. Open Championships. This map was especially challenging because there was no "one" photographic aerial reference for me to work with. I was provided a mishmash of different photo angles but the tree cover was so thick it really didn't help. Thus, a site visit was called for in order to shoot ground photography. They were awesome clients, providing me overnight accommodations at their 5-star Carolina Hotel, dinner, breakfast, lunch along with a golf cart and driver. We zoomed around the entire resort, golf courses, and village, me snapping photos. It doesn't get any better than this as a pampered cartographer!  :D 

I had to start with an outdated 2D flat road map and skew it into an oblique view, then compress the actual proportions in order to "fit" everything in. Buildings are larger than reality in the middle portions on purpose and of course we didn't render every single building in the village–only the relevant ones for tourism. Capturing the sawgrass and sand texture was very important especially on Pinehurst No. 2, a world famous course. Lots of detailed gems in this illustration including colorful azaleas and landscaping, sculptured bushes, flags on each hole, the Putter Boy statue, and even the Rolex clocks throughout the courses. An advertising agency then took the final illustration and applied the labels. The map is used in print and web promotional materials and I was told a spread in the current issue of Golf Digest magazine (which I still have not seen yet). Pinehurst's ad agency then redesigned their entire website and my map appears at the very bottom if you scroll all the way down. That site is: http://www.pinehurst.com/ 

Attached File  Pinehurst Village 3D Map.jpg   178.34KB   11 downloads

To see the entire map and zoom in on the detail go to this LINK and go full screen: 

Best,
Michael

• DaveB likes this

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Hi!

Nice map but the pattern of trees is somehow unnatural to my eye and fairway / rough has to much contrast that breaks golf course.

Oh I would add helicopter sight tour to really get best out of customer ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->