4 replies to this topic

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

Hello,
It has not been easy , but Google maps has accepted three maps I submitted to their Gallery. You can see them even in google earth
The magallanes one is a little test.
Here are the links for you to see them:
Mount Everest: http://maps.google.c...8b2iIDyJI&hl=es
Teide Volcano National Park: https://maps.google....HA.kA2vX8g10BEs
Magallanes voyage: https://maps.google....HA.kNHnUY3hiUkI
I hope you enjoy them
Best regards
Fernando

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Teide Volcano National Park is the best project.  It seems that a lot of work was put into this map, in particular interestingly, the digital elevation model caught the eye more then the remaining product.  Was this the intention, and how did you create this digital elevation model?  It looks good, therefore it is pleasing, and well liked.  Forgive my ignorance, what country are these islands attached with?

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
  • Spain

Thank you James,
The Teide NP is in Canary Islands, Spain. They are volcanic Islands, as Hawaii, but in the Atlantic.
My intention with every map I make, specially with Shaded reliefs, is what you have noticed: that at first glance, the eye catches the whole, and then searches the details, labels, etc.... I am glad to know I have achieved it with this one.
The shaded relief is a mix of shaded relief from different angles, aspect image of terrain. I always used lansat images, some filters in photoshop, manual retouching... It was somewhat huge photoshop files and some trial an error. If I have time, i can look the files and make a better description on monday.
Best

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

"The shaded relief is a mix of shaded relief from different angles, aspect image of terrain."

Was there any mathematical equations used to formulate the terrain?  Or was it done using only the tools available through cartographic software. Though this may be a foolish question, however there is a curiosity and understanding that cartographers especially technicians get a limited education in the quadrivium part of the scientific side as it relates in space and time, as to the Earth in geographical understanding.  In other words, creativity and the skill as far as making is concerned exists and is adequate conventionality in the standard today, yet we lack the knowledge of how; for example a digital elevation model is calculated so precisely or how to calculate between distances utilizing geographically from coordinates of a location.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Hello james
Well... Those litlke people inside the computer made the calculus.. ;-)
No, seriously, it is true that great software era with great computers had simplifyed everything a lot and perhaps we are all forgetting thise formulas. Time ago, when the first commodores, amigas, apple, pc's And when there was no software available for these tasks, I programmed myself (FORTRAN was what we used in maths) all these gradients, laplacisns, models,.... But nowadays its easyer to take a program of those you say.
One problem about these programs, GIS or terrain rendering ones, is the llack of knowledge about the exact formula, and prhaps the ability to enter seval parametrs of those that makes a difference. But it is quicker than compiling and recompiling....
For me, one program that has a good documented side, and has versatility to play around knowing the math behind, is SURFER, from golden soft. A must have to make terrain analysis, shaded reliefs, calculus over terrains... I use it too to maket this shaded reliefs. Specialy the calculus and the filter menus on which you can define alll the math you want. A great manual with all the formulas and refeences accompanie the program. I am using it since in the university
This said, you can know all the math background about cartography, but if not in a investigation environment, the wiser is to remember the theoretical part, but use the practical...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Google maps, teide, everest, eosgis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->