Can this archivist become an artist?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

KarenM

KarenM

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:historical maps & maps illustrating history, urban tree canopies, women explorers, and scientists
  • United States

Hi all!  Mapping is my new & second career, but I do love it!  I am still in the early stages of developing as a cartographer, and I figured that this board would be a good way of interacting with others in the field.

I have actually received a fair amount of training in cartography through my degrees in land surveying and GIS.  However, I never considered myself to be much of a visual artist, and my geospatial-related professional career so far has been mostly managing databases, creating some rather boring interactive web maps, and a fair amount of librarian-esque digital archiving of historical maps.

But, during a recent bout of unemployment, I started up a freelancing business and have been practicing using ArcGIS with Illustrator quite a lot.  I seem to have accumulated a bunch of unfinished maps, though, and don't really have anything good to show yet.  I need to step it up now, because I am about to start a 3 month gig where I will make a series of environmental maps, and I am here to check out other people's custom projects as well as to seek general cartographic advice.  

Thanks!

-Karen

http://landladycartography.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Karen, and welcome to Cartotalk! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, or post your work-in-progress maps in the Map Gallery if you are in need of some creative input.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->