4 replies to this topic

mcallisterw

mcallisterw

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United Kingdom

Greetings all.

I have an issue with exporting a map as a jpeg from ArcMap. I have a nicely designed colour scheme, yet when I try to export it as a jpeg, the colours change.

I would post an example to show you the difference in colours, but unfortunately, even taking a screenshot results in the colours being mutated. Basically the built-in colour 'medium lime' (which is one of the muted pallete of colours to the bottom of the colour selector) comes out as a lurid pea-green in the jpegs. I also have the built-in colour 'lemongrass' in my map, which stands out just enough against the 'medium lime' to be visible, but as a background feature, however in the jpegs the two are indistinguishable.

As a professional photographer I recognise this as a colour-space issue, whatever colour-space ArcMap displays maps in, isn't compatable with jpegs, and this true of every other format ArcMap can export to, including AI files but excluding EMFs, which can be viewed in windows at the original colours. However an EMF file on its own doesn't have many uses, I need to convert it to something else to upload it to websites where I wish to use the map and when I do, the colours mutate again.

I know I need to access ArcMap's colour-space settings and get it to use a colour-space which doesn't require conversion, but I can't find these anywhere.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

If you create a simple map with a specified RGB color, does it change it on JPEG export?

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

mcallisterw

mcallisterw

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United Kingdom

If you create a simple map with a specified RGB color, does it change it on JPEG export?

If the colour is specified as an RGB colour using the colour-picker?... Yes it still does.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I have battled color-space issues in ArcMap a bit and don't have an answer for you, but I'm intrigued with this issue.  There are certain processes (exporting/converting color spaces, printing, etc.) when ArcMap will colorshift, but if you are using their native RGB colorspace and exporting as an RGB jpeg (24-bit True Color) with Max quality, theoretically there should be negligible changes.

I tested an export using Lemongrass and Medium Lime colored features and used the scientific 'eyedropper method' of testing color values in both ArcMap and an exported jpeg in Photoshop.  The results (using screenshots of screenshots) are attached below and there didn't seem to be a change in RGB color values so I am thinking something else is going on (transparent layers, jpeg compression, ?).

Attached File  LemonLimeRGBshift.png   131.06KB   1 downloads

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

mcallisterw

mcallisterw

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United Kingdom

I have battled color-space issues in ArcMap a bit and don't have an answer for you, but I'm intrigued with this issue.  There are certain processes (exporting/converting color spaces, printing, etc.) when ArcMap will colorshift, but if you are using their native RGB colorspace and exporting as an RGB jpeg (24-bit True Color) with Max quality, theoretically there should be negligible changes.

I tested an export using Lemongrass and Medium Lime colored features and used the scientific 'eyedropper method' of testing color values in both ArcMap and an exported jpeg in Photoshop.  The results (using screenshots of screenshots) are attached below and there didn't seem to be a change in RGB color values so I am thinking something else is going on (transparent layers, jpeg compression, ?).

attachicon.gifLemonLimeRGBshift.png

That's kind of the same result I get, and there is no transparency or anything. As you confirmed, the RGB values aren't shifted.

There is an out-of-gamut warning for printing when I view the colours in Photoshop, and the recommended replacements are close (not but exactly like) the colours displayed by ArcMap, but the difference between Lemongrass and Medium Lime is still indistinct. I'll have to create the colours I want in Photoshop and then copy the RGB values to ArcMap, and see how that works.

UPDATE: Doing it that way at least gives you control over the colours you get out of it, it would be a bit of a pain if you were trying to really design a colour scheme to a high standard, tweaking it, and having to keep going back and forth between Photoshop and ArcMap

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arcmap, arcGIS, colour, color

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->