• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

So recently I had to take a work program in attempt to update my job skills to be more employable.  This presented an opportunity to show off the skill set at the time of portfolio presentation towards the end of the program.  Fortunately the job placement in the third module took place at the Registry of Deeds, unfortunately no job opportunity due to the unavailability of a position, (no job openings). During the cycle a map outside the work place was created utilizing  the opportunity to learn more of Quantum Geographic Information Systems with a heavier learning curve in Inkscape.  It is declared that Maine is not a perfect map, it has its distortions, never the less with the imperfections in mind the general skillset remains intact.  

“Freedom, liberation, this must be the aim of man.  To become free, to be liberated from slavery: this is what a man ought to strive for when he becomes even a little conscious of his position of his.  There is nothing else for him, and nothing else is possible so long as he remains a slave both inwardly and outwardly.  But he cannot cease to be a slave outwardly while he remains a slave inwardly.  Therefore in order to become free, man must gain inner freedom.

The first reason for man’s inner slavery is his ignorance, and above all, his ignorance of himself.  Without self-knowledge, without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave, and the plaything of the forces acting upon him.

This is why in all ancient teachings the first demand at the beginning of the way to liberation was ‘Know thyself.’”

-     

Oupensky, PD, “In Search of the Miraculous – The Teachings of GI Gurdjief.”Chapter Six, pg. 104

Indeed this was me a few years back, and aspects of the self still need a lot of work.  IN particular the strict, very critical inner parent that has told me no I cannot, (Akashic with an additional sensitive physic reading), and a lot of self work has been applied carefully, it's the right moment to comfort the demon.  So please enjoy the map, it's all about creative fun, and no one can honestly impose their beliefs on me, nor can anyone gain power over me again.  

Attached Files

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Nice!

One thing that comes to mind is maybe drop the word "county" from the map, that would save some clutter. If possible, add knockouts too, especially for Androscoggin and Sagadahoc.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Yes it will definitely save space to do that, to do that is to give it more of a cleansing effect.  Moreover, and please forgive my ignorance, I have seen the term knockout, and indeed I likely have used this procedure before under a different description, so if you bare with me:

Definition:

knockout is a portion of an image that has been removed. When two colors overlap, they don't normally print on top of each other. The bottom color is knocked out of - not printed - in the area where the other color overlaps. If the overlapping colors were printed you could potentially have a portion of the image over-saturated with ink and it could also affect the color of the image.

Knockout type is typically text that is knocked out or reversed out of a dark background so that the type appears in the color of the paper.

Source: http://desktoppub.ab.../g/Knockout.htm

So I will assume for now you are referring to making the text more eye popping using something like a halo effect as it is used so often in a GIS system.  Of course there is always the possibility of incorrectness in this assumption, therefore it is necessary to research other projects on this website with knockouts, and learn the description to prevent crossover misunderstandings.  Noticeably, there is also colour saturation that must be experimented and further tested; for this map is to be portfolio worthy in professional terms of representation to a cartographers eye to obtain any form of work.  Thank-you Hans, it is deeply appreciated that this stoic has received information for input in these matters of map designability to improve logical output.  If there are other members interested in a critique please leave you input in this thread in this subject matter. .  

Thank-you Hans for the input.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Here’s a perfect example of where a thin white line would work much better than the complicated dashed county boundaries.

I view it as more natural to use all caps for an area feature (the county names) and mixed-case for point features like cities—even Augusta.  Definitely drop “County” from each label.

The M A I N E label should be much larger, letter-spaced to “occupy” the state.  Right now it looks like it’s a label for a single county.  That might work in white.

I’d just abbreviate N.H. and Mass. (Mass. could be dropped altogether).

I’m surprised to see the natural feature St. Lawrence River labeled instead as the cultural feature St. Lawrence Seaway.

The north arrow is overly complex, seems squashed north-south for some reason, and probably would be better in the lower right corner near the scale.  Frankly, I would omit it altogether in this context unless the client demanded one.

As for printing terminology, I would usually say reversed for white type, and halo for the thin white border separating dark type from a dark background.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

I concur with all that is said with a few additional points:

• I don't think that you even need to have Maine labeled on the map - it's already in the title
  • there appears to be a slight gap between Pscataquis County ad Arrostook County
  • definitely replaced the heavier black dashed lines with a thin white line as Dennis suggested - as it is, the boundaries draw attention to themselves - changing them would also make the text more legible without needing to rely on knockouts. I don't think it would be disastrous to have all the boundaries as a white line - Maine is the only thing that is coloured. If you do this, you can drop it from the legend as well.
  • you might want to either give the income circles a colour that stands out better from the background or make the outline heavier. They are a little harder to see.
  • -you might want to consider putting all the "extra" text and notes together in the bottom right corner below the table. Might give the enitre layout a mor balanced look
  • to be consistent, add commas to seperate the thousands out in the table as you do in the legend item for income by city
  • you could probably do without the north arrow and the scale bar but it is ok to leave them in as well
  • like the colours! and I like the map!

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Canada

Thank-you all points will  be taken with due consideration, and written in my notes.  Knowledge is empowerment, and when a critique is asked it is best that a critical eye takes a peek at the work by a peer for objective analysis.  After All how is one to learn without that critique?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->