• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I try to set aside a few hours every week to tinker with new technology or try out new stuff that I otherwise wouldn't have time for. So yesterday I spent some time trying to get together my first map in CartoDB. And here it is. It's a map of the cycling holiday in Tuscany I took last year.

I know it's very basic at the moment but please bear with me, I'm taking my first steps here ;)

What I've done is combine the GPX tracks from the 6 days of cycling into a single KML and import that. The POI's were done manually in Google Earth and saved as KML as well. Would be interesting to try and do that automatically: the photos I've made with my iPhone are geotagged so I should be able to grab the location from the exif data with FME. It's just that there's a bunch of photos made with my SLR as well which are not geotagged.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Netherlands

And here's a second attempt with (some of) the same data. Turns out that FME can also extract my heart rate from the GPX. So I thought I'd combine that with the slope information, map can be seen here.

Red Geographics

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • United States

ooh-ah-nice. 

I went to the CartoDB workshop after last year's NACIS and got a lot out of it. Unfortunately their free offering is fairly limited in the number of databases and size, so doing any real exploration requires a paid subscription. I just can't bring myself to delete my early explorations in order to have room for more advanced work. In my case I haven't had time yet to make it worthwhile, but it's on my list of to-do items.

Adam Wilbert

@awilbert
CartoGaia.com
Lynda.com author of "ArcGIS Essential Training"

Bogdanovits

Bogdanovits

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:map history
  • Australia

I like their pricing plan names. Real tribute to cartographers.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Netherlands

The one thing that irks me is that (in the free version) there doesn't seem to be a way of updating an existing table. The options are either to merge tables (which means you have to have a free slot to upload the data into first) or delete a table and then re-upload the new data, but that would mean you'd also have to redo all the viz stuff on it. Presumably this is not the case in the paid plans.

Red Geographics

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Looks like you got it pretty easy in some section of that tour! ;) Or you are in a great shape! ;)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Netherlands

I am in great shape of course ;) But it wasn't an easy tour, I wrote a little blog about it here. Really should add some more cycling stories by the way...

The one with the heart rate modeled in is just the first day, which was not very tough, no really steep bits and just one long climb before lunch that was a bit of a challenge, but I was able to sit on somebody else's wheel all the way, which helped a lot.

Red Geographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->