Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

My 3D tourism map poster of Seneca County, New York in the Finger Lakes Region of the state. This will be appearing in their new tourism guide. It's a combination of a 2D flat map skewed into an oblique angle with 3D icons to denote attractions. I also peppered the map with relevant historical factoids and text blurbs. Created in Photoshop and InDesign.

Attached File  Seneca County Final Map.jpg   262.29KB   8 downloads

To zoom in for a close up go to:
http://www.mapformation.com/what-we-do?id=3911
And make sure you view it in full screen mode for maximum effect.

• SteveR likes this

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Spain

Simply awesome -- great work!

Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

Bogdanovits

Bogdanovits

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:map history
  • Australia

Great map! One small question.

Why is different the font colour of the lake and canal?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Great work Michael, as always.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Thanks guys.

Bogdanovits, the reason for the font color change was deliberate to make Cayuga-Seneca Canal stand out with more contrast and to not be lost since the label is so small and surrounded by a lot of other visual elements. That canal is important to the area so we didn't want people missing its label if it were in that same ghosted white color of the two large lakes. The dark blue color choice is also because of the NYS Canal Corporation branding scheme in dark blue/yellow– the dark blue being recognizable throughout the state canal system. Also, I deliberately expanded the width of the canal, too, whereas in reality it would be a mere thin line running across the county. So, a bit of exaggeration was in play, as well.

• Bogdanovits likes this

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Awesome map Michael!

It makes me want to visit and buy wine.

• Michael Karpovage likes this

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Awesome map Michael!

It makes me want to visit and buy wine.

LOL!, just don't do what I did and mix wine and beer. I ended up in the woods somewhere becoming one again with Mother Nature. ;-)

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

I've got my new Seneca County map! It's rare I get to see my digital map illustrations in actual print. Brings it to life so much better when you can hold a map in your hands.

Attached File  Seneca Map.JPG   154.16KB   0 downloads

• DaveB likes this

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Chris Bessert

Chris Bessert

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Cartography of all kinds with specific interests in road and street maps, park and recreation maps, local/county/state government mapping, and non-motorized mapping. Modern-day history (e.g. 1900-present) of cartography is also an interest.
  • United States

Unfortunately I may be chiming in a bit late here and seeing how wonderful(!) the overall design of the map is, I somewhat hate to bring this up, but... There is one thing on the map that caught my eye. Admittedly, I'm what some call a "roadgeek" and am well-versed in the various types of highways and have always taken care to denote them on my maps. Many people—both in general and in the GIS/cartography fields—seem to struggle with the various types of signed routes, although most understand the difference between Interstates and non-Interstate highways in the U.S. On this map, for example, every route is marked using the U.S. Highway marker, with the Interstates using a red-and-blue filled version. Granted, it's not a major issue and many users of the map may never notice it, but this is where my perfectionist tendencies kick in. To demonstrate, I took a screenshot of a potion of the Seneca County map and added route markers that more closely resemble those actually used in the field: www.chrisbessert.org/etc/cartotalk_senecamap.png

I tend to use the actual FHWA typeface for my route markers, but I know some cartographers use the appropriate symbols and either a typeface used elsewhere on the map or something that's a bit less "technical" and maybe more aesthetic—the typeface used on this map would work well, for example. I don't advocate making truly pattern-accurate or overly intricate route markers, such as including the word "INTERSTATE" on the Interstate marker or some of the minute details from the various state or provincial route markers, as generalization is one of the major skills of any good cartographer. But with so many sources of vector-based route markers (fonts, SVGs on Wikipedia, etc.), it's much easier these days to use the actual route markers or a close approximation. I also threw a NYS Thruway marker onto the map as an example of one of the many types of "other" route markers starting to increasingly appear on maps, like the Great Lakes Circle Tours, the Seaway Trail, Historic Route 66, various state and provincial byways, etc. Below are links to the "Route Systems" page from my own Michigan Highways website as well as the Wikipedia page on numbered highways to help illustrate the different types of routes and their markers:

--
Christopher J. Bessert
chris.bessert@gmail.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Okay, you Roadgeek, you got me! I agree with you on the shield differences not being completely accurate. It is a subtle thing that most people won't see, but now it really irks me I made the mistake of not having some of the shapes correct as it's already been printed and distributed. It's not an earth-shattering mistake, but as a cartographic illustrator it's one I regret. In hindsight, I probably should have run a draft or two by you guys in this gallery earlier in the process. But thanks for catching it. I'm still learning. And will probably not use my customized icon again going forward. And a greater thanks for sharing that link of Numbered Highways in the United States. This will be an invaluable source to use on my next project.

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Chris Bessert

Chris Bessert

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Cartography of all kinds with specific interests in road and street maps, park and recreation maps, local/county/state government mapping, and non-motorized mapping. Modern-day history (e.g. 1900-present) of cartography is also an interest.
  • United States

Okay, you Roadgeek, you got me! I agree with you on the shield differences not being completely accurate. It is a subtle thing that most people won't see, but now it really irks me I made the mistake of not having some of the shapes correct as it's already been printed and distributed. It's not an earth-shattering mistake, but as a cartographic illustrator it's one I regret. In hindsight, I probably should have run a draft or two by you guys in this gallery earlier in the process. But thanks for catching it. I'm still learning. And will probably not use my customized icon again going forward. And a greater thanks for sharing that link of Numbered Highways in the United States. This will be an invaluable source to use on my next project.

I hope my comments didn't come across too harshly as I very much like your Seneca County map! I wish I had more of your artistic skills, to be honest. As much as I like to troll forums like these to gather inspiration, my maps tend to have more of a "technical" feel to them. That's in spite of finishing my maps in Adobe Illustrator and applying various aesthetic treatments that are yet to be found anywhere near even the high-end GIS packages. I can only imagine the amount of work needed to create a map like yours—one that works as both a navigational tool and an informational piece! So, I hope my nitpicking on the route markers didn't come across as anything but nitpicking.

As much as I like to absorb the cartographic design ideas and samples on Cartotalk, I figure I should also contribute in those areas where my specialty might be of help. The route marker thing is one of those areas.

--
Christopher J. Bessert
chris.bessert@gmail.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Not at all Chris, not at all. You were very professional about it. I'm not good at some of those technical skills that you excel at, but certainly have the creative and graphic design and print skills, so it's great that you contribute like that. There is no project out there that is ever perfect, but it's good to know where to improve on the next one. i'm actually about to add road signs to a current project for a small private academy so your timing is superb. :)  

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

KarenM

KarenM

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:historical maps & maps illustrating history, urban tree canopies, women explorers, and scientists
  • United States

This is fantastic.  I grew up just north of that area, so I especially enjoyed seeing the familiar markers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->