Dale A

Dale A

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Australia

G'day,

I've been using TTS 1.3 to extract bathymetrical terrain data for subsequent blending in PS. My challenge is to present a blended shaded relief with texture shading to show seabed forms that range in vertical scale. I have areas of  high relief (20m) , and then areas of very low relief (0.2m). It's a  sort of bimodal distribution of relief. The typical approach is to exaggerate the z value until the areas of low relief show structure, at the expense of high relief which is now grossly exaggerated. 

TTS lets me pull low relief detail ( Rippled Scour Depressions) to be masked and blended back into a pseudo realistic representation of the seabed.

I've stuck a problem, TTS 1.3 routinely crashes on importing .flt files and ASCII grid files of grids over  1000 x 1000.  TTS will sometimes open the file and display the map window, then crash on rendering.  I've used  Manifold 8 and QGIS to create the DEMs.

I'd appreciate if anyone else has seen this behaviour and report on file size limitations. I've got a project coming up of 30 000 x 15 000 res, so I'm keen to get a workaround!

Natural Graphics

Natural Graphics

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

Dale,

Hello. I am the co-author of TTS and should be able to help you get this resolved.

To answer your question directly, I have not had any problem reports since release in late November last year. And there are no hard-coded limits on the file size. My guess is that it could either be something unusual about the files you are importing or your Mac setup.

Can you send me an example of a file that causes TTS to crash? That would help me isolate the problem. Also what version of Mac OS are you using, which model of Mac computer do you have and how much RAM do you have installed? And is the program running in 32 or 64-bit mode?

Brett Casebolt

Software Developer

Natural Graphics

Dale A

Dale A

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Australia

Thanks Brett, I'll contact you off forum, and we can post back here about the result.

TTS is a very handy bit of software. Blending the shaded relief and the shaded relief  helped me to select a couple of very interesting bits of seabed for divers to visit.  It's probably not in the realms of Cartotalk, but if possible I'll provide a link to the story.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Feel free to post that story, we're always interested.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Natural Graphics

Natural Graphics

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

The problem has been fixed, and an update to TTS (version 1.31) is now available at: http://www.naturalgf...ts_download.htm

The DEM which led to the crash had a very irregular shape and many void (no data) areas. TTS was designed to handle this, but there was a glitch in a special section of the code to handle oddly shaped DEMs.

Brett Casebolt

Software Developer

Natural Graphics

Dale A

Dale A

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Australia

Thanks for the fix Brett, I'm back opening irregular, void ridden DEMs and building texture shades. I've processed one floating point DEM of 0.8 Gb so far. Works a treat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->