• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Jennifer

Jennifer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:maps - preferably beautiful & functional, hiking about the forest, sipping great coffee, my mac, tuning in with the iPod, reading, writing, paper and collage art
  • United States

We routinely print our maps for proofing from InDesign CS 5 to our Konica Magicolor 8650 printer. They are large maps and are tiled onto 11x17 paper. All of a sudden this has stopped working. I truly mean suddenly. I printed one file successfully and when it was complete, sent the second one with no output.

I have tried the successful file again and am now getting nothing. However, other applications continue to print as do other, smaller ID files. Printer has been turned off and on, ID restarted without a change in results.

Any suggestions on how to get my printer printing again?

I am running Mac OS 10.6.8.

.Jenn.

--
Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association

www.adventurecycling.org
follow me on twitter: @acaroutes

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I've heard of issues like that with other software and Windows machines. A couple of things people have done in those cases is 1. clear out any temporary files; 2. restart the computer. I don't know if either of these apply on a Mac, but maybe worth a shot?

Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Jennifer

Jennifer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:maps - preferably beautiful & functional, hiking about the forest, sipping great coffee, my mac, tuning in with the iPod, reading, writing, paper and collage art
  • United States

Hi Dave!

Both the printer and the computer have been restarted, no dice.

I wonder where I would find any temporary files that are clogging up the joint.

I'll have one of my Windows-based colleagues attempt to print the file tomorrow and see if I can narrow down whether it's something in the file or one of the machines.

Thanks for chiming in!

.Jenn.

--
Jennifer H. Milyko

www.adventurecycling.org

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Maybe if you export the file as a PDF first and print that? It could be there's something happening in the file (transparency for example) that the printer doesn't like.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Jennifer

Jennifer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

Maybe if you export the file as a PDF first and print that? It could be there's something happening in the file (transparency for example) that the printer doesn't like.

The thing is, we print files based off of this same template regularly. And the one file has printed successfully, without a glitch. I have noticed the toner cartridges are low. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Will try the Windows route first and then change those cartridges.

--
Jennifer H. Milyko

www.adventurecycling.org

Jennifer

Jennifer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

Ok Hans, you get the gold star. I was able to get the file to print by creating a PDF first. I hope this doesn't prove to be a glitch for our final output printer.

FYI: My Windows co-worker had no better luck than I in getting the file to print.

.Jenn.

--
Jennifer H. Milyko

www.adventurecycling.org

Nichodemus

Nichodemus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • United States

The computer we have our plotter connected to (runs PosterJet) must stay at an old version of all the drivers, postscript, Acrobat, etc. Any update of almost any kind seems to completely screw it up. I finally figured that out after way too long. Now it never gets updates.

Could it be you got an update of some sort, probably automatically, that has caused your print driver to act up?

Jennifer

Jennifer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

The computer we have our plotter connected to (runs PosterJet) must stay at an old version of all the drivers, postscript, Acrobat, etc. Any update of almost any kind seems to completely screw it up. I finally figured that out after way too long. Now it never gets updates.

Could it be you got an update of some sort, probably automatically, that has caused your print driver to act up?

I don't think so. I haven't instigated any updates on my computer and it is set to be a manual process rather than automatic.

As far the printer itself, it could be configured to be an automatic update but what puzzles me is that it printed a similar document just fine only minutes before. I'm starting to think it might be an image in the file. That is one difference between the two files. I'll have to print a third similar file today. Wish me luck!

--
Jennifer H. Milyko

www.adventurecycling.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->