1 reply to this topic

Brambr

Brambr

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Belgium

Hi,

I've been reading cartotalk for a while but this will be my first post.

I'm currently working on a new urban mobilty plan for one of the bigger cities of Belgium.

It's the first time I am working for this size a city (which is compared to most American cities still very small).

I work on the plan contentwise under coordination of a very experienced colleague,

and i design all maps too.

Here are some first drafts of the maps,

any comments will be appreciated!

First map is a conceptual map of the imporance of certain roads

Second map is the desired categorisation of roads 

Attached Files

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

Hi Brambr

I like your two maps, as they seem to focus on your topic and are not cluttered with additional information. Here are my thoughts on their appearance:

When I compare the two maps it jumps to my eye that in the first map you only show what seem to be the more important roads while in the second maps also a lot of smaller raods (the grey ones) appear. I think you should show the same level of detail on both maps, especially if they appear side y side in a report. And I'm not sure the detailed grey roads work well with the rather schematic big dots of the highway connections on the E17 and E34, so maybe you could drop the grey roads altogether.

Also, I think the communitiy boudaries are a bit too thick and black. Maybe you could try make them much thinner lines and accentuate them with a faint border band along the outside of St.-Niklaas. That would make the roads stand out more.

Next to the railroad tracks near the train station of St.-Niklaas there is an orange road in the first map but apparently no road in the second map (although there's a grey double arrow). Did you forget a raod segment there?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kathi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->