cvowell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:fly fishing
    horseback riding
    'graphy': photography, geography, cartography
  • United States

Hello CartoTalk!

My name is Carolyne and I am a cartography and GIS enthusiast.  I have recently graduated from the University of Montana where I acquired a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geography: Community and Environmental Planning as well as a GIS Certificate.  I really enjoy GIS and love learning about all the possibilities it holds and potential to use it for anything and everything.  I discovered Geography and GIS via a geology professor and an interest in the environment and an interest in cause and effects.  Through Geography, I turned into a GIS lover since it enabled me to study any subject I'd want to via geospatial data, while incorporating my eye for design.  So far the majority of my cartography experience has been creating topo maps, research maps, and fire maps.  The fire maps I created at the Montana DNRC led to the realization that I could potentially help a community and the world around me by creating informational maps; I have since taken an interest in crisis/natural disaster mapping.

In my short post-undergraduate life, I have been brainstorming about the idea of doing freelance cartography work.  The first step for me was creating a business name and logo; Cartographic View (the logo itself is my profile image).  Now all I've really been doing is creating a portfolio of maps to show possible clients and working to create contacts that may lead to mapping jobs.  I have a lot more work ahead of me to realize any sort of dream of freelancing or of even becoming a crisis mapper, and I have a lot more to learn, but I look forward to continuing my GIS journey and seeing what it may lead to.

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Carolyne, and welcome to Cartotalk!

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Welcome and best wishes with your cartography ad/venture!

(I like your logo)

Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Strebe

Strebe

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Map projections. Snobby chocolate. Science in general.
  • United States

(I like your logo)

So do I... And cute that its initials are yours!

Welcome.

--daan Strebe

MapMonarch

MapMonarch

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the great outdoors, the natural world, conservation applications of GIS, chocolate (gots to be dark), monarch butterflies, fire, and more!
  • United States

Hi Carolyne,

If you haven't already I would recommend checking-out GISCorps based on your interest in crisis/natural disaster mapping: http://www.giscorps.org/ The Corps coordinates short-term volunteer missions to provide GIS expertise/services to underprivileged communities (sometimes in response to a crisis or natural disaster).

Good luck in your endeavors!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: geography, cartography, GIS, MapLove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->