• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Before I give up, thought that I would post here to see if someone can figure out what I have done wrong. 

I trying to get a texture shading from my 1/3 second arcgrid NED that I obtained from the National Map.  I have successfully rendered texture shades in the past though the NED was from a state clearinghouse.  I have followed the instructions that come with the program, and I have used my own notes that I successfully used in the past.  I have tried to render texture shading with no projection (GCS/NAD83), and that worked in the past with other NEDs, then I tried World Mercator projection, then UTM Zone 16n, and I tried a Lat/Long projection.  All of these end with the same error when I try to convert Float to Raster in ArcMap 10.1.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks,

kru

Attached Files

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Leland Brown

Leland Brown

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, math
  • United States

My best guess is that ArcMap is complaining about something in the .hdr file. If you can post that file (tex1.hdr or tex3.hdr), I'll take a look at it.

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Thanks Leland,

I can't figure out how to attach the file.  PM does not have an option to attach a file and the forum does not allow me to attach a .hdr file.

kru

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Leland Brown

Leland Brown

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

The .hdr file is actually just a text file. You should be able to open it with Notepad, or use "type tex1.hdr" in the terminal window, and then attach a screenshot (or just cut-and-paste the text).

-- Leland

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • United States

I thought it was a high dynamic range.

Thanks

ncols         1889
nrows         1386
xllcorner     -9871768.5864926
yllcorner     4477182.9934391
cellsize      11.548778611761
NODATA_value  -1e+006
byteorder     LSBFIRST
layout        BIL
nbands        1
nbits         32
pixeltype     FLOAT
min_value     -64.3
max_value     46.6

Strabo 22AD

Leland Brown

Leland Brown

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

Here's my best guess how to fix it:

The error message seems to be complaining about the value on the "layout" line. "BIL" is a valid layout value, and is typically the default. But this page in the ArcGIS 10.1 Help seems to indicate that "layout" and some of the other keywords may not be expected for float files, though they're used with integer grid files. Rather than ignoring the extra keywords, ArcMap may be generating an error.

I suggest you try removing the "layout" and "nbands" lines from the .hdr file (using Notepad, for instance). These are meant to allow multispectral image files, so it's logical they may not be allowed for float files. See if that fixes the problem. If not, you could try removing the four lines below that as well, though I'd be more surprised if those generate errors.

I have no idea why this would stop working now, after the same process worked for you before; I don't see anything odd about the file.

Please let me know if one of these ideas fixes the problem - I'm curious! (Unfortunately, I don't have ArcMap, so I can't try it myself.)

-- Leland

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • United States

I did figure a work around.  I tried deleting the "layout" and "nbands" and that didn't work, and then I deleted "nbits" & "pixeltype" and it worked.  Had to define the projection but that was easy enough. 

Then just to play around I worked with my 3/4 size texture's .hdr file and started by just deleting "pixeltype" and it opened right up. I left "layout" and "nbands" on there.  I was going to go through them one at a time until it worked.  Just happened to be on my first go around.

Thanks for your help,

kru

Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->