2 replies to this topic

Daniel Huffman

Daniel Huffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Was digging through old projects today and remembered about a series of maps I did for a client last year who is putting together an encyclopedia of antique carpets. The maps are meant to locate the cities/tribes/regions mentioned in the text. It's kind of simple work, but it is a favorite of mine, so I thought I'd show it off here. Your praise/scorn/comments/questions are welcome. This one is already done & in the hands of the press, so I'm not likely to make any changes, but I suspect you'll all teach me some things that I should consider next time around =).

Images are here: http://cargocollecti...Antique-Carpets

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Nicely done. The only real question is about use of the stained/spotted paper, and having it relate to the map imagery. In central Turkey, for example, the coincidence of a cluster of points with a stain seems to suggest the stain meaning something. Often such discoloration in actual historic documents relates to ink (on the same or reverse side of the paper), or to page edges or creases. Also, historically, all important lines would have been in black, with color tinting added by hand or in a separate press pass. Keeping key colors to a bare bare minimum enhances the antique effect. But overall, nice work. 

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Daniel Huffman

Daniel Huffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Very good points. I must admit that the paper texture was a late addition, not planned through from the beginning. Your comments are giving me some good ideas, though, of how I could go about this sort of thing from scratch. I can imagine doing the linework, noising it up a bit in photoshop, then painting colors on in another layer. Now if only I could get someone to hire me to do something like this again, better the second time around!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->