kevinpaulscarrott

kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:wine, women and song
  • Norway

Bold, bright, flamboyant new map palette, with coastal areas in mind. Emphasis on sand, sea, harbour, promenade, seafront paths and parks. Distinct clear typeface, fresh and crisp exciting palette you can have fun with.

Take a coffee break and spend a little time on this one, it may just fit the bill if you’re looking for something fresh to highlight a new piece or project. The Kristiansand map is unadorned and minimal, but there is a bright charming effective impact that touches the senses.

Inspiration for part of this palette comes from early life experiences with Stanley Kubrick’s legendary film work. His excellent composition, visual framing, and bold use of colour graphic opening titles has influence generation’s of followers.

Go on, take a chance. Be bold, cool, and have fun!

Best wishes,
Kevin-Paul
Stavanger Guide Maps Norway
www.stavanger-guide.no

PDF Version: available here

kristiansand.jpg

Daniel Huffman

Daniel Huffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • United States

Thanks for sharing! I think it would be great if there were more sharing/discussion of color palettes around here. I will have to try and remember to post something next time I have a suitable project.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Thanks Kevin-Paul. Speaking of taking color cues from film work,  this made me think of Dario Argento's film Suspiria and the vivid colors he used in that one. Cool idea and nice palette! 

kevinpaulscarrott

kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Norway

Thanks Kevin-Paul. Speaking of taking color cues from film work,  this made me think of Dario Argento's film Suspiria and the vivid colors he used in that one. Cool idea and nice palette! 

Hello Erin, yes you are correct, a fascinating film with beautiful unique shots and colour settings. Palettes are often forgotten or rarely contemplated, by many, through all medium. Focus is mainly on the moment of experience. The relationship between palette and finished product can be difficult to comprehend. Can you imagine studying a solitary palette belonging to Rembrandt, and then viewing one of his paintings constructed from the very same palette?

What a great concept or idea for a gallery in this day and age to pursue. Presentation of framed paintings with the actual physical palette along side, collation between the two, the genius of the artist.

rembrandt_palette.jpgrembrand_painting.jpg

Just like to mention in passing that after publishing a few works on LinkedIn and Behance recently, I’ve had numerous comments and positive feedback from many artists and designers, mainly from France. These have been regular creative’s from design and advertising, nothing in common with cartography. It appears that cartographic palettes may be easier to comprehend, with an immediate association, and very pleasant on the eye.

I’ve put Argento‘s Suspiria on my list of films to watch after work, thank you very much for your feedback. I’m looking forward to a Colourful frightning evening!

Best wishes,
Kevin-Paul

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Here's a palette I developed for a client who ultimately decided they wanted something much brighter.  I wanted to have colors of similar intensity for both background areas (various county groups) and to have corresponding labels of similar hue on top.

r2kdDrg.png

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

kevinpaulscarrott

kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Norway

Here's a palette I developed..................wanted to have colors of similar intensity for both background areas (various county groups) and to have corresponding labels of similar hue on top.

I like it Dennis! Thanks for posting your palette. I’ll try the corresponding labels of similar hue on my next project.

Hopefully we’ll get a few other viewings here on this C M Y K post. It would be great to view a selection of differing palettes. Possibly motivate, educate, encourage and enlighten many of us? Could be the start of a significant vibrant colourful experience?

Here’s one of our earliest palettes to motivate a good follow-up post.

cave_palette.jpg

Best wishes,

Kevin-Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: palette, typeface, colour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->