• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

http://www.creativeb...torials-1232697

Might be something useful in there for somebody. It starts off with "how to create a new document", but they get better, I swear!

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

From a knowledgeable point of view in standardizing learning Illustrator for specific industry's, a generalized approach with focus on just random courses can only teach a certain amount of information.  To truly utilize within a specific industry the scholar has to receive instruction specific to that industry, in our case as cartographers our teaching methods must be specific to this industry, and learning must be done with no additional tools that require money unless it is stated that you need X product in order to learn these lessons. 

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Strebe

Strebe

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Map projections. Snobby chocolate. Science in general.
  • United States

Huh??

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

What?

James, Illustrator is a good tool. Pricey, but very good nonetheless for cartography. I have it at works like so many others here. 

In order to know how to create maps in Illustrator, you have somehow to learn how to use Illustrator first and its tools. You need to know how to create a new document, setup the page size, etc., in order to be able to create your map.

Illustrator is not the only tool, but that's no reason to discredit it and Hans' link.

I'm sure there's lots of Inkscape tutorials out there and some on cartography too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->