Csongor Kovacs

Csongor Kovacs

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Romania

Happy New Year everyone!

In the past year I've been working on a tourist map which will be displayed in the mountain shelters in the Harghita Mountains, Romania.

It all started as a simple project of a locator map for the mountain shelters in Harghita County (SRTM based digital elevation model with pins as the shelters) then with the Salvamont organization we agreed to add tourist trails, so we went on tracking the trails, once we were on the field, let's repaint them as well, then let's create an elevation model based on contour lines, the area is roughly around 2000 square kilometers, so it took me around half a year to digitize the contour lines, once that was done we expanded the area so on all parts inhabited areas should be reached by tourists in need...long story short it was (still is about 90% done) a fun project to work on.

As for Romania you barely can find GIS data (basic like: contours, hydrography, vegetation, etc. not to mention ortho or other imagery) we took the approach of making simple things complicated enough, so I created in Ocad 11 Professional (if interested www.ocad.com) a database for them, then the resulting .shp files were converted to .ai and imported in CorelDraw to make the map itself.

As I mentioned before the area is about 2000 square km, the highest point is 1800m, the lowest is around 650m, so nothing spectacular, but very nice for a good hiking. The final output will be at 1:50.000 scale, after quite a struggle we managed to obtain orthophotography and 1:25.000 topographic maps based on which we digitized, the map will be displayed in the mountain shelters in the region. GPS tracks and all the GIS data will also be available.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

ps. images from the fieldwork here(language is Hungarian):

https://www.facebook.../hargitahegyseg

or

https://www.facebook...nthr?ref=stream

Attached Files

Csongor Kovacs

Csongor Kovacs

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Romania

...and here is a cropped sample

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Nice! The relief shading may be a bit more prominent, but that's a matter of personal taste of course. Any chance you could post a slightly more detailed image to give us an even better idea of what the map looks like?

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Csongor Kovacs

Csongor Kovacs

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Romania

Thanks Hans, I'm not guite happy with the relief shading myself, so I think I will give Blender a try based on Daniel Huffman posted tutorial.

As for the more detailed image I only have the cropped version from the second post on my personal computer (as I saw when I was unlogged it has 0 downloads so far).

csongor

Csongor Kovacs

Csongor Kovacs

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Romania

...found an earlier version on a USB stick, so here are some other samples from the same map, as there is a limitation on size I will post them separately, as they are close to 1mb each...

Attached Files

Csongor Kovacs

Csongor Kovacs

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Romania

and another one

Attached Files

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Looks like a labor of love and a lot of work! There's a lot of information and detail there, but it's still nice and clean.

Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Csongor Kovacs

Csongor Kovacs

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Romania

Thank you Dave,

My girlfriend would definitely agree with your "labor of love" statement as I've put in 13-14hrs/day on this in December, with no weekends :P .

The funny thing about this project was, that back in 2012 when we relocated to this area, called our friends from our former place for a hike (one of them being a GIS guy, mainly hydrography) and realized that we couldn't find any maps for the region, especially the mountain part...I can't forget the face of the guy from the bookstore when he asked us what is our profession, and we told him, that I'm a cartographer ("accidental one") and my friend is a GIS tech, so he told us that in this case there should be no problem, as we could draw one for ourselves... :huh:

csongor

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Overall the map is well prepared, and sufficient. but the map design seems a little too close to: "government standard topographic colored codes." 

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Csongor Kovacs

Csongor Kovacs

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Romania

I don't know what exactly the : "government standard topographic colored codes." are , and it was never my intention to copy anything, what you see is a transparent forest green, some shades of gray, all the colors on road shields and trails are the actual colors used in real life...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->