6 replies to this topic

koen onestopmap

koen onestopmap

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Belgium

Hi there,

does anybody know what projection this is? I thought it was azimuthal equidistant, another option is Bonne, but neither projection gives me the result as the image shown.

I'm using mapublisher in conjuction with natural-earth data.

Thanks!

Koen.

Screen+Shot+2013-12-02+at+15.52.15.png

Editable vector maps for graphic design, webdesign, presentations, personal interest.

www.onestopmap.com

Melita Kennedy

Melita Kennedy

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

It is relatively close to the picture of the Briesemeister projection in Voxland and Snyder's An Album of Map Projections, p. 163. So I think it is an oblique case of some other world projection like Hammer.

Melita

koen onestopmap

koen onestopmap

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Belgium

It is relatively close to the picture of the Briesemeister projection in Voxland and Snyder's An Album of Map Projections, p. 163. So I think it is an oblique case of some other world projection like Hammer.

Melita

Thank you very much Melita!

Unfortunately Mapublisher doesn't carry the Briesemeister projection. It's really close. I also can't get it to work with a Hammer projection within Mapublisher.

I have to search a bit more.

Editable vector maps for graphic design, webdesign, presentations, personal interest.

www.onestopmap.com

l.jegou

l.jegou

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Webmapping, thematical mapping.
  • France

I think i recognize the projection as a Bertin 1950. Jacques Bertin was a french cartographer, author of the somewhat famous "Semiology of graphics", but also of several projections.

Cf. : http://cartographie....map-projections

koen onestopmap

koen onestopmap

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Belgium

thanks, l.jegou, It really look like it, unfortunately I don't know how to use this projection in Mapublisher since it isn't supported.

www.onestopmap.com

Fil

Fil

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

This is  the "Projection à compensation régionale" described by Jacques Bertin 1953 (there is an error on the link given above).

See Bertin's book "Sémiologie graphique", p. 295, where you can find many different projections, including 4 signed by Bertin: 1950, 1952, 1953 and 1954.

l.jegou

l.jegou

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Webmapping, thematical mapping.
  • France

Indeed, i confirm Fil statement, there is an error on the Science Po website i linked above, the projection is a JB 1953.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->