Photo

MAPublisher connecting to Geodatabase (Driver not installed)

- - - - - MAPublisher ArcGIS Geodatabase Connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Spencer

Spencer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Has anyone had the good fortune of connecting to an ArcGIS Geodatabase with MAPublisher?

I had 32 bit version of MS Office so never tried, but now I have 64 bit version including Access. I installed the driver requested by MAPublisher, but I receive and error saying that it is not installed. I am guessing that it is simply not in the correct location or perhaps the name of the file is incorrect.

Thanks for any advice.

T MAPS

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

A personal geodatabase? (i.e. a microsoft Access mdb?)

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Spencer

Spencer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Yes, a personal geodatabase, a .mdb, it is one of the options for importing to a MAPublisher document, but when attempted I get a message asking for me to download Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable.

Has anyone had success with this connection?

T MAPS

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I've used it succesfully. I seem to recall there being some driver issues, is it perhaps possible to try it with the 32-bit driver? (Arc and 64-bit don't always match...)

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Spencer

Spencer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Arc is 32 bit, but I believe the background geoprocessing is 64. MAPublisher was specifically prompting me to install the x64 version of the driver which led me to get Office (64 bit), and download that driver, but MAPublisher is still not seeing it. I believe I have everything I would need, however.

Might it be a setting to allow access within Access to .mdb files from other tools besides Access alone? It is my understanding that one can connect to .file geodatabase as well:   http://www.avenza.co...patial-database

I'm not finding a good tutorial for getting this set up anywhere, just yet.

T MAPS

Avenza

Avenza

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Canada

Arc doesn't support 64 bit personal geodatabases: http://resources.arc...100000040000000

Please try using 32 bit and see if this fixes your problem.

Regards,

Avenza Support

Spencer

Spencer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Am currently reverting Office to 32 to recreate my original issue. My thoughts are now that Illustrator (64) is the issue and that is why it is asking for 64 bit driver even though it is installed.

T MAPS

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Can you use ODBC? ArcGIS geoprocessing is 32-bit by default, unless you install the 64-bit extensions. It is a bit tricky to define a 32-bit ODBC datasource on a 64-bit system (the control panel is a bit hidden), but once you get to it is not that difficult.

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Spencer

Spencer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

I realize that ArcGIS is 32 bit besides background processing as I wrote earlier.

Forgetting ArcGIS and accessing a .mdb, created with Access 2010 (32 bit) gives the same message asking for a specific driver (64 bit). This led me to believe that 64 bit Access was needed, along with that specific driver so I installed them both.

I have always good luck with the support teams from all vendors. I just need to get everyone together on a conference call when I have more time.

Thanks for all the comments.

Summary:

The Avenza support answer above was correct, but in a round about sort of way, I guess.

MAPublisher is awesome, that is all I know. However, when it originally installed, it installed on my 64 bit version but not the 32 bit version of Illustrator. I thought since my license precluded me from having more than one instance of MAPublisher running, that was just the way it was so I have never worried about it.

However, my old version of Illustrator (CS5 - 32 bit only) still resides on my machine because I purchased it and I own it and all that. Anyway, when I installed MAPublisher it attached itself to that particular version of Illustrator (CS5) rather than the CS6. I have never used CS5 since the CS6 install so I didn't even realize MP was attached to it.

Everything functions together fine, like I knew it should have been, except for that initial install thing - and the 64 bit version of Illustrator still not seeing the 64 bit driver that is installed. The Illustrator/MAPublisher version I was using was the 64 bit version, and it was asking for that driver. I tried the 32 bit Illustrator, but MAPublisher was not attached to it, so I didn't think too much about it before realizing that the CS5 is 32 bit. I open it and, voila.

Next up, connecting to a File Geodatabase. For now I'm just pleased that I can at least import a .mdb even though not with the Illustrator that I was expecting to be using, although I know it really doesn't matter too much anyway.

Thanks again for the comments.

T MAPS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MAPublisher, ArcGIS, Geodatabase, Connection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->