Photo

Why 1,000-meter grid as UTM, Zone S for Northern Zones?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

JoeFred

JoeFred

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

Why do the National Map US Topo Geo PDF maps specifiy the 1,000-meter grid as Universal Transverse Mercator, Zone S for zones in the northern hemisphere (example 17S for East Tennessee)? I notice National Geographics does the same for their Trails IllustratedMap series of the area.

JF

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I live in Arkansas and we are in Zone 15S North, same latitude as TN.  I always specify "North" at the end when displaying the projection to help eliminate confusion.  It would make sense for them to have skipped the S Zone in the northern hemisphere, but they didn't.

kru

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Melita Kennedy

Melita Kennedy

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • United States

In this case, "S" is for a latitude band, not a hemisphere, and falls between 32 and 40 North. The "N" band falls between 0 and 8 North.

JoeFred

JoeFred

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

Thanks, kru & Melita. 

Yes, in addtion to omitting the use of the letters "I" & "O", doing the same for "S", "N", "E" & "W" would have made things simpler for a newbie like me, but then 26 letters will only go so far.  :)

Thanks again,

JF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->