Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

Dear Forum, dear Nick!

If my memory serves right, the "Nick Springer digital map designs" at Microsoft had quite an impact. Encarta, Mappoint, offline navigation products before TomTom became widespread etc.

This all predates GoogleMaps.

Now for the sake of history, who knows or remembers where Google Maps drew its inspirations or who did the styling (from full cloth?) in the beginning?

My conjecture/hazy memory was that google maps looked a lot like Nick's MS designs.

The beige background and orange/yellow streets for example seem to have no other precedent? Or was this itself taken from US style roadmaps which I only have passing familiarity with?

Any confirmations, substantiants or rejections of this conjecture heartily appreciated!

Bonus question: How did the styling for the current Bing maps came into being?

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I'd certainly like to learn more about who did the styling and what influenced them.  Google Maps is very unlike US street maps.  The double-line street map, with streetnames contained within, and yellow for arterials, is a distinctly European development.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Good questions.  I know Google Maps came to the market before Microsoft Virtual Earth (Google = February 2005, Microsoft = July 2005).  

Google Maps came from Danish brothers Lars and Jens Rasmussen from the Sydney-based company "Where 2 Technologies." Google purchased them in October 2004, but I'm not sure if the cartographic styling is authentically Australian - it very well could be.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Google used to have different styles for different countries, but they got it all more or less in line with eachother a while ago, from what I can tell only Japan and Taiwan still have some subtle differences.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

Good questions.  I know Google Maps came to the market before Microsoft Virtual Earth (Google = February 2005, Microsoft = July 2005).  

Google Maps came from Danish brothers Lars and Jens Rasmussen from the Sydney-based company "Where 2 Technologies." Google purchased them in October 2004, but I'm not sure if the cartographic styling is authentically Australian - it very well could be.

Thanks, i know the Rassmussen's did that. But I always was of the impression these were mostly Tech-guys with minor interest into styling/design. Lars is now with FB after he did Google Wave and is IIRC involved in the FB graph search.

Just to bring everybidy up to speed, and as long as Nick does not chip in, Nick's designs are from turn of the century, so 1999-2001ish. 

Full disclosure: I did not know there were country-dependent stylings for  google maps! Any links on that?

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

I agree with Dennis - the Google style, right from the start, has had a very European look. Definitely not designed by tech types! As I recall, the current design of Bing maps was from a design firm in San Francisco. I still like the MapPoint look, at least at the smaller scales; it's much easier than Google for seeing the streets.

Strebe

Strebe

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Map projections. Snobby chocolate. Science in general.
  • United States

Ahem. "Tech types" are quite capable of emulation. And more. Just sayin'.

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Yes indeed - and designer types have been known to program as well! B)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->