4 replies to this topic

Luca Moiana

Luca Moiana

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Italy

Hi,

After lots of years of reading I'm finally posting to ask a question, my goal is:

to create a WEB MAP with 12 classes for vegetation, 2 classes of vegetation quality (high and low) and  2 classes of habitat quality (high and low)

What I'm trying achieve is a choropleth with the vegetation classes and some line or point fills for the vegetation / habitat quality.

Do you have any suggestion or map to point me for some inspiration ??

thanks for your help

L

Spencer

Spencer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Can you simply create a map using a graphics program and then have it hosted, or when you say you want a "WEB MAP", do you wish for it to be interactive with the various layers clickable to display the information in a pop up bubble?

Spencer

Spencer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

You can try different textures for the classes using various patterns in Illustrator then two shades of green underneath for High and Low vegetation. I'm thinking the Habitat map should be a separate map, but perhaps on the same page, or at least the layer able to be toggled on and off with different colors representing High and Low again, but underneath the texture layer with all of the classes so the classes still show.

Can a "two map" static map show all of your data well enough on one screen or do you need more screen real estate in order to show it all reasonably well?

Luca Moiana

Luca Moiana

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Italy

Hi, thank you for your help.

When I say WEB I mean: I want people to be able to turno ON/OFF layers (Vegetation Type, Vegetation Quality, Habitat Quality).

I totally agree with your point of view on the two maps, but I'd like to have all the info available in one map, that's why I was considering different line fill so you can turn all layer on and get the overall value of the forested patch.

Spencer

Spencer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

There would be many ways of classifying areas differently, of course. If using lines to fill, or variations such as orientation or other textures the map has a chance of becoming too busy for the viewer, but it can be done if the fills are carefully selected.

I have not revisited it in a while, but at one time a person could put up to 5 Fusion Table layers on one Google Map. These could then be toggled on and off.

What about something like this map with all the layers?      http://tmapsonline.c...ndlayermap.html  

Another option might be to try ArcGIS Online. Create the shapefiles, compress them, upload them, and then share the map.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: webmap, vegetation, choropleth, fill, colors, classes, twelve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->