Photo

Geospatial activities at MEASURE Evaluation UNC--poster

USAID UNC evaluation training capacity-building global health health systems MEASURE Evaluation

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

wilkes_becky

wilkes_becky

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hi all,

I very much enjoyed my first NACIS meeting.  I got my start in cartography at Florida State University's FREAC (Florida Resources and Environmental Analysis Center) as an undergrad geography/geology student in the late 80s, working with Jim Anderson, Peter Krafft, and near the end of graduate school in the early 90s, Lou Cross.  And yes, FRE-AC is pronounced as 2 syllables.  :rolleyes:   FREAC's biggest project during that time was the Atlas of Florida, followed a few years later by a Revised Edition, and I had the pleasure of working extensively on both versions.

For the past 6 years I've been working at the University of North Carolina on the USAID-funded health evaluation project called MEASURE Evaluation.  I am part of a team of GIS folk who produce educational materials and run workshops for health officers around the world, but chiefly in African countries. We emphasize the importance of collecting health data with geographic identifiers in order to help evaluate the effectiveness of global health programs.  We help non-geographers learn QGIS and the use of GPS. I made a poster summarizing some of our recent work and presented it at NACIS. 

Hans recently requested we post our work here, so here you go!  It was nice meeting you and seeing your awesome inflatable globe project, Hans.

Hope everyone enjoyed their visit to Greenville--I was raised in SC and it was nice coming back.  I had a great time meeting so many wonderfully gifted cartographers, attending the wide variety of presentations, playing Geodweeb Geopardy, and participating in the Saturday morning Tile Mill workshop.

Looking forward to NACIS 2014 in Pittsburgh!

Becky

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: USAID, UNC, evaluation, training, capacity-building, global health, health systems, MEASURE Evaluation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->