3 replies to this topic

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • United States

I'm wrapping up a very large wall map (50" x 70") for a company's distributed sales force around the country. They wanted to show each of their 40ish sales reps and the cities that they serve, and the map needed to be read from approximately 5 - 10 feet away. Even though the map is the largest I've ever worked on, it still gets crowded in the most populated areas, especially when there are 3-4 different sales reps in a tight area. We've color coded each rep's cities but with 40 different reps and growing, I'm not sure how sustainable a strategy that is. Some of the colors are somewhat close to each other and I rely on geography a little to help separate them into clusters. 

For the screenshots below, I've turned off the sales reps labels which would appear in a 36pt Helvetica Neue Heavy Condensed, colored to the individual's assigned color and placed as close to their city cluster as possible. I've also turned off all of the other identifying labels and marks for this company at their request.

As always, thoughts, comments, criticisms are appreciated. 

Attached File  overview.jpg   71.33KB   136 downloads

Attached File  detail1.jpg   89.92KB   170 downloads

Attached File  detail2.jpg   112.69KB   140 downloads

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Looks very nice.  However, some of the color dots are deeper and more intense than others, making them look more important or dominant.  On projects like this, I work pretty hard to give the color dots a visually similar "saturation" level.  I'm not sure if there's a completely scientific way to do that.

(BTW, Manhattan is misspelled.)

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • United States

Of course I would misspell something and then post a screenshot. Thanks for spotting it. I've also added color tweaks to the list of things to refine. 

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Kingmi140

Kingmi140

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

I'm a big fan of understated base maps to make the content pop.  This map does it well - very nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->