google maps download

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

mark_555

mark_555

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Russian Federation

GoogleMapsRipper is mapping software that allows you to download both satellite imagery, topographic and road maps from Google Maps, Bing Maps and OpenStreet Maps.

Supported map types are Google Road Map, Google Satellite, Google Hybrid, Google Terrain Google Mobile, Bing Road, Bing Aerial, Bing AerialWithLabels, OpenStreetMap.

All downloaded map segments are saved on the disk for offline use. You can save maps in several image formats ( .Bmp, .Jpg,..Gif, .Tif, .Png). Georeferencing data can be saved in XML format or ESRI World Files can be created in several formats ( .Bpw, .Jgw, .Gfw, .Tfw, .Pgw).

User can request map segments in several coordinate formats: Geographic (Latitude/Longitude), UTM, and Gauss-Kruger. Usage of Local Geodetic Datum is also supported. Downloaded map segments will be converted into requested coordinate format/projection/geodetic datum and georeferenced in the same coordinate format. Also, target image size, resulting in different map scale ( i.e. 1:50 000 etc) can be selected.

http://www.blueblack...ripper/overview

Edited by mark_555, 01 October 2013 - 12:52 PM.

• Holly B likes this

souvik.gis

souvik.gis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography,Music
  • India

Please provide the link..

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I found a link to download the software from CNET - but it seems you would be defying all sorts of license agreements by downloading the source data from the providers.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

This looks far from legal to me and is quite likely to get both Blue Black and any users in trouble with Google and any of the data providers.

Am I missing something?

Ted

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

mark_555

mark_555

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Russian Federation

Please see link http://www.blueblack...ipper/legal-use for legal use tips.

Based on Google article itself, http://www.google.co...guidelines.html , there is a number of cases when download of maps is allowed.

Even if Google would like so, they can not be more restrictive then for example US Law, and the doctrine of “Fair Use” allows usage of copyrighted material in number of cases. So, Google is as protected as other authors of any other material, not more.

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

I checked out those links, Mark, and all may be well and good to use a Google map for presentations etc. but I do not think that the extraction of actual GIS data is permitted.

using maps is not the same as using data and what your application permits is the extraction of data. Plus, in many cases the data does not even belong to Google.

Maybe I am wrong but in any case, thanks for replying.

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->