• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

soboyle

soboyle

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

New to GIS and to QGIS, so maybe this question is way off base. I imagined I would be able to draft lines, arcs, circles in QGIS for customizing maps, adding polygons and vector lines to indicate sites on a map. Is that possible in QGIS? So far I only seem to be able to work with data brought into the program.  I've managed to put together a nice map from online vector maps, but now it's time to move onto the next step and customize the map. Where to start? 

tonyw

tonyw

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Canada

Take a look the tools for adding new Vector layers. When creating a new layer you have a choice if the layer is for points, polygons, or lines. Then draw to your heart's content. You can add columns (or fields) to the data ("attribute") tables just as your imported data has. qGIS lets you work with imported data and you can create GIS vector data that you can share as well. 

As for arcs, I'm not sure you can create arcs (maybe, I'm not a heavy qGIS user) but in other GIS programs you can approximate arcs by a series of straight line segments. The shorter the segments and the more inflection points, the smoother looking the arc. 

AndrewM

AndrewM

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United Kingdom

If you go to the plugins sections and look at the plugins available there's a 'CadTools' plugin which looks as though it adds various tools for adding and modifying arcs and suchlike. I can't claim to have used it myself, but could be worth a look for what you're doing.

soboyle

soboyle

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Looking at cadtools, all the tools seem to rely on making selections of existing vector geometry prior to selecting a tool. Unless I'm missing something. 

But if I want to add a rectangle to represent a house onto the map, or draw a path through a field, how do I go about doing that? 

AndrewM

AndrewM

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United Kingdom

Yes, just had a play and you're right. There are some tools for adding points and constructing things, but they seem a bit awkward to me. However I have just discovered the 'rectangles ovals digitising' plugin which seems much simpler.

Basically to start you need to create a new polygon shapefile (layer>new>new shapefile layer) and then with that layer selected, click the toggle editing button to start editing. That should activate the new plugin and give you tools for creating squares, rectangles, circles and ovals. Give that a try and see if it's any closer to what you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->