- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

clawdaver

clawdaver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I'm working on a transit system map which measures 29.5 x 24. We fold it 8 x 3 panels to get a 3.5 in x 8 in finished map. Last year the printer we used delivered us a set of folded maps that were wavy and wouldn't lay nice and flat. You can stand them on edge, but that's not a feature I'm looking for. This printer won the bid for this years map too. In emails back and forth he's been telling me that there isn't any way to remove the air pockets in the folding process and his wavy map is the best he can do.

Does anyone know what the steps are to remove the air pockets from the maps during the folding process?

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

There has to be somewhere for the air to go. Are the maps folded accordion-fold style and then in thirds?

Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Holly B

Holly B

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States

What do you mean by wavy?  Air pockets occur because of the fold sequence, and usually result in wrinkles.

Holly

www.whmap.com

clawdaver

clawdaver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Yes. They are folded accordion style and then in thirds. Here is what they looked like:

Attached Files

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

The only thing I can think of that might help at all is if the interior section, the one that goes inside when it's folded in thirds, is shortened a little. Although I doubt the waviness can be eliminated entirely, nor even reduced much. Eight panels in the accordion fold makes for a thick product that has to be squeezed through rollers and forced into the 2 more folds at right angles.

(It's been a couple of decades, but I used to run folding machines and such, and I don't know if I could've done any better. And I thought I was pretty decent at my job.) :)

Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

whmap

whmap

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

It appears that the accordians went well. I would recommend less squeeze in the right angle wraps. If they don't have a high bulk right angle section this could be difficult to achieve. The high bulk sections have double diameter fold rollers which allow the operator to open the plates wider.
  • Holly B likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->