Photo

rotating point markers as well as names?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I don't do a lot of small scale mapping, so I never thought very much about this before.  I'm making a wall-size map of industrial locations across the country.  I'm using a pretty standard Albers projection, so I've rotated the labels in varying amounts to roughly match the meridians (well, perhaps I should say the state boundaries, as this map probably won't have a graticule).  The question is whether I rotate the site markers (the purple ovals) to match.  I'm thinking that since I even rotated the highway shields, I should.  But there'll be a listing of the sites around the margins of the map that will be straight to the page.  Advice?

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I would align my site markers to the text on the side.  Not only are you establishing visual hierarchy by separating your thematic data from the basemap, but you using gestalt to link the data on the map to the data on the side.

kru

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->