2 replies to this topic

mfarmer

mfarmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • United States

Have any of you generated a block-face dataset? If so, do you have any words of advice or warning?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

What is a block-face dataset?

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

mfarmer

mfarmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • United States

It would be a polygonized linear feature, like a ZIP Code. It would be a polygon along a street, defined by how it looks as you drive up the street, or as you talk to your neighbor.

A block most of us are used to is bounded by streets, which means that buildings across the streets from each other would be in different blocks. A block-face  would have potentially irregular parcel lines (but just at the rear of the parcel), or alleys, or just a buffer. While thinking about that kind of dataset, I got to wondering how I would incorporate cross streets into the data set: would the block-face extend across intersections, would I just accept that cross street block-faces would be much shorter than main block-faces? What are other things I need to take into consideration?

The goal would be visualize aggregate data for streets in the way people interact with the streets, not the way data hounds interact with census blocks. ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->