Avenza Launches PDF Maps App 2.0 on iOS Highlighting Features Requested by Avid Users Latest Enhancements Include Real-Time Tracking with GPS and Map Features List
Toronto, ON, September 10, 2013 - Avenza Systems Inc., the leading developer of cartographic software --such as MAPublisher for Adobe Illustrator and Geographic Imager geospatial tools for Adobe Photoshop -- announced the launch of PDF Maps app 2.0 for iOS devices. Unique to the space, the enhanced version incorporates suggestions from consumers that currently use the first and only geospatial PDF and GeoTIFF reader on Apple iOS for travel, outdoor activities or business purposes out in the field. Based on the needs of its primary consumers, PDF Maps app 2.0 provides iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users the ability to track speed and elevation in real-time and import and export data more succinctly.
The PDF Maps app takes advantage of geospatial technology that allows travelers to view and measure real world locations and attributes. Paired together with mobile devices that utilize GPS, such as an iPhone, the PDF Maps app provides constant access to geographic locations and even points of interest without the risk of losing reception due to cell tower proximity making it the ultimate travel accessory for any activity in areas where internet bandwidth is not available or while roaming outside one's data zone. With the latest updates in PDF Maps 2.0, users will appreciate the breadth of tool management features:
- Tracking real-time movement with GPS which includes noting speed and elevation statistics
- Saving, exporting and importing tracks in KML format
- Saving measurements to line data as well as importing and exporting lines in KML format
- Map Features list for easy organization of placemarks, lines and tracks including folder enhancements
- Improved export accuracy
"When we first launched PDF Maps app in 2011, we knew there was a segment of digital map users that needed something more robust than the turn-by-turn digital maps that were useful in an internet-laden urban environment, and more accessible than the expensive GPS devices that could be used offline. PDF Maps app filled that gap, and since then, we've grown a dedicated following that understands we've created a tool that supports how they want to travel, work and play... offline," said Ted Florence, President of Avenza Systems Inc. Today, we've come to a point where we can take consumer feedback and refine it in a way that benefits everyone which has been an invaluable experience for us, and we're excited to introduce the latest version of Avenza's PDF Maps app 2.0 to the map users that have provided their own insight to help create it.
Unlike other map apps that provide one view of a location using GPS coordinates as most maps do, Avenza's PDF Maps app expands a traveler's choices, allowing them to access detailed geography or points of interest created by specific map publishers for use on land, sea or air. PDF Maps app 2.0 allows consumers to access information while at a destination, providing users an opportunity to make the most of their time experiencing their environment rather than searching for cell reception to access directions.
Currently, Avenza's vast PDF Maps app library covering maps for domestic and international travel includes more than 100,000 maps organized by state and area. All maps available through the in-app iTunes-like map store offer the following capabilities:
- Access and load maps through in-app purchase, iTunes File Sharing, Wi-Fi or cellular network to read maps anytime
- Access and interact with saved maps without the need for a live network connection (offline)
- View your location on the PDF map using the built-in GPS device or via Wi-Fi triangulation
- Find coordinate of any location in the map, including the ability to type in a coordinate to search
- Display coordinates as Lat/Long (WGS84), Lat/Long (Map Default), Northing/Easting, or Military Grid Reference System (MGRS/United States National Grid (USNG)
- Support for GeoTIFF files to create tiles similar to how a geospatial PDF is tiled
- Map rendering in higher resolution
- Overlay Google search results
- Add waypoints and collect/record information about locations, including photos
- Measure distances and areas
- Open current map extents in the Maps app
- Quickly view, zoom and pan maps using gestures (pinch, drag and flick, double tap)
- Change pin colors, position and label names
PDF Maps app 2.0 is available now on the iTunes App Store free of charge for personal and private use. Commerical, government and academic use licensing is available for a nominal fee. For more information about PDF Maps, visit the Avenza website at www.avenza.com or the PDF Maps website at www.pdf-maps.com. Pricing of each map is set by the publisher and free maps remain free to users through the PDF Maps app in-app store.
More about Avenza Systems Inc.
Avenza Systems Inc. is an award-winning, privately held corporation that provides cartographers and GIS professionals with powerful software tools for making better maps. In addition to software offerings for Mac and Windows users, Avenza offers value-added data sets, product training and consulting services. For more information visit the Avenza website at www.avenza.com.