• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

thumbtel

thumbtel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi all,

I am new to cartography and adobe illustrator and I have no idea about writing code or scripts for some map design programs. I am using Google Styled Maps (http://gmaps-samples...zard/index.html) to create an extremely basic city map that when styled shows only roads (as white colour) over a black background. Absolutely nothing else in the map. To create a large city map I am saving dozens of Static Map images as .png's and then stitching them together in illustrator to form a larger area map. Time consuming and frustrating! Can anyone advise of a better way of doing this, if one has no experience/knowledge of more advanced map design software. Is there a simple program I could use?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Jim

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Hi Jim

I could not understand from your post whether you want a static map through Illustrator or a dynamic online map say through OpenLayers?

Now I assume that you want a static map; say for your website or for print. For such a map you can import data into Illustrator through GIS tools like Avenza Mapublisher which is plugin. You can always get a 15 day trial from Avenza. Once you have GIS data in Illustrator you can format, generate labels and do lots of things with that. I have done a very quick change of specs to black background and near white roads etc to an already done London map in Illustrator. I have attached that with this post.

I use Avenza Mapublisher to import GIS data in Illustrator, please do review some of the maps that are available on my website http://www.mapsandlocations.com

If you want then I could help you out in making your map, do send me a mail. And yes, welcome to the world of Cartography.....

Anu

http://www.mapsandlocations.com

Attached Files

thumbtel

thumbtel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hello Anu.

Thank you very much for your kind reply and advice. This is exactly what I am looking for. A static map for print just like the example you provided. I will trial the avenza mapublisher and start mapping. I checked your website and it looks great. You have some terrific maps there. Thank you for the offer of help also.

Kind regards,

Jim

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Another way would be to download OpenStreetMap data using the free QGis package, and then exporting them in a format that Illustrator can read, e.g. svg, eps or pdf.

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

AndrewM

AndrewM

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United Kingdom

I second Frax's suggestion - sounds much easier to me than stitching many tiles together and you shouldn't need much illustrator experience to set a white line style and black background!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

You might want to try my suggestion first, as that would be the cheaper route. If you use MAPublisher, you would still need to acquire and format the data, from OpenStreetMap or other... !

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Spencer

Spencer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

It has been a few weeks, but you might want to try TileMill. You can import a great variety of file types, style them easily, and export as PDF. From there open the PDF with Illustrator and add in legend, title, whatever.

The TileMill tutorial is pretty good.

You may be able to trace the features you want in Google Earth then import that to TileMill too...

Post an image when complete. I like white lines on black background, just make sure your lines are wide enough to be seen on the final product. The computer's screen can be deceiving.

T MAPS

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

There's been a lot of talks on or about Tilemill here at NACIS and I get the impressing you're programming a map rather than designing it. Don't get me wrong, I think Tilemill is a great tool for making massive online slippy maps, I'd love to get a project where I can dive into it and gain more experience with it, but I don't think I'd be using it to create a static map. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Map design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->