• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Hello!

Here is my new mountain map of Triglav area (Julian Alps - Slovenia) at scale 1:25000. It is two sided and 6 color printed map (4+2). Any suggestions for next edition are welcome.

Attached File  B_side_small.jpg   216.26KB   293 downloads

• DaveB and gasparri like this

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Oh and here is a clip at 150dpi. It seems that colors are somehow more blueish that printed ones.

Attached File  B_side_clipl.jpg   486.03KB   261 downloads

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

Looks really great! It looks like the data you're working with is really fine quality -- where did it come from?

Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

souvik.gis

souvik.gis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography,Music
  • India

Really nice job...

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Slovenia

Thank you!

Data came mostly from Slovenian Geodetic Authority. I have to pay for commercial use of their data. Otherwise all manmade objects are acquired from recent orthophotos. It is time consuming to vectorize all buildings, roads,... but I find out that there is no better source than orthophotos if a high quality is in question. In fact every map that I've made recently at this scale (1:500 - 1:50000) was checked by orthophotos (aerial or satellite). This is the only way to get a map with all recently build objects.

Paths came mostly from GPS data. I'm still not satisfied completely with their generalization but in next edition this will be better.

The hillshading seems to be more powerful in this generated preview than it is on printed map. I'm still not 100% satisfied with some local contrast in it, but a line between personal perfection and good enough quality has to be drawn. Well at least this time ;-)

aaront85

aaront85

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Great map! I really enjoyed the Bohinj map as well. Do you use Photoshop for rock drawing? Also, do you do the illustrations? I rarely see such well drawn and impressive guides for alpine and climbing areas in the U.S. 

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Slovenia

Thank you! Illustrations were done by professional illustrator and were based on photographs. Rocks are actually scanned from existing National map at scale of 1:25000. I'm not very satisfied with them, but for the budget that was available for this map they are fine.

Yes I'm aware that in US there are not so many maps with this kind of rock presentation. Hey I can make some ;-)

aaron.m.taveras

aaron.m.taveras

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Is there anywhere these maps can be purchased in the United States? If not is there a place you would recommend?

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Awesome job Lui!  

In addition to the rock textures and shading, my favorite part is the kick-out for Mojstrana.  

I don't have any recent plans to visit the area, but I would like to have a printed copy of this to see it in person.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

Great job Lui!!!
clear, artistic & technical.... Carthography.

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Slovenia

Hi!

Thank you for positive responses (still hoping and waiting for some critic).The map is available at publisher's site. In a month or so it will be available another mountain map at same scale of different part of Slovenia. It will be done in same manner including some kick-outs ;-) I'll posted a notice and an overview here of course.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain, hillshading, spot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->